Dreamweaver

cadena 21:06 10 Sep 2006

I have WindowsXPSp2 home edition, I have already got Frontpage, I would like to buy Dreamweaver, is there any type that I need for my computer, if so could someone tell me and point me in the right direction please.

ade.h 23:02 10 Sep 2006

By "type", do you mean version? There is only one version of DW8, and that is for Windows 2000, XP and Mac OS X.

Not sure why you would want to spend such an enormous amount of money on a less-than-straightforward, probably soon-to-be-upgraded package when you already have Frontpage. Your choice, of course.

cadena 23:53 10 Sep 2006

so is frontpage the same as dreamweaver? I can do a straight forward web page, but would like to have more; in line with graphics and such.
If dreamweaver going to be upgraded then I will wait, any idea when that will be as you must have seen it say at some point, thanks for the input.

ade.h 12:23 11 Sep 2006

Put it this way; the FE primarily uses Frontpage and as you probably know, he's been designing websites professionally for a long time. It sounds as if you have not yet reached FP's limits.

cadena 12:33 11 Sep 2006

"if you have not yet reached FP's limits."
probably as it takes some figuring out on how to do certain things, though there is a "help wizard" he is not very clear on showing you the way to go...perhaps I should explore FP a bit more, thanks for all your responses to my question.:)

ade.h 12:39 11 Sep 2006

A lot of people, myself included, find DW a bit of a headache. Much of it is neither intuitive or quick. I actually fing hand-coding to be the easiest approach; I started using it recently and it has been very liberating because I feel in full control of what's going on.

ade.h 12:40 11 Sep 2006

"fing" being find, of course!

cadena 13:01 11 Sep 2006

mmm.... I find FP quite easy to use as the HTML is done for you, the "straight forward" simple web page I can do but getting to know how to use colors/ placing pictures on where YOU want it and so on seems quite confusing, but as I am 59 I put it down to my brain slacking a bit.. lol.
I love doing a web page and like to be creative but I am at a standstill at the moment.
Thanks for your info; and help;

mco 13:39 11 Sep 2006

I would stick to Front Page if I were you - there is an awful lot you can do with it and I agree with adeh that DW is not particularly userfriendly.

cadena 16:21 11 Sep 2006

thank you very much, so I guess I need to explore FP a bit more. I am glad your reply quoted "is not particularly userfriendly" as it has saved me the expense.

RicScott 09:08 12 Sep 2006

I use studio 8, yes expensive..Worth every penny?? Hell yeah.
If you're going for inexpensive, go for NVU.

If you are into coding more than WYSIWYG building, then Notepad is your answer. I started on Notepad a few years ago until I discovered Dreamweaver.

Programs are only user unfriendly if you don't know how to use them. Once you get used to a program it's not unfriendly anymore.

If in doubt..download a trial from click here

To be honest with you, if you're happy using what you've got then great, learn to use it to it's full potential, we used to have this argument years ago about Cubase and Cakewalk..At the end of the day, if you can produce great work with what you have, stick with it. Use what you're comfortable with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?