Drastic Action

Lion Tamer 18:11 28 Oct 2006

A couple of days ago I posted that I have been having problems since downloading IE7 - there have been no replies so far. Norton started to turn itself off, AOL kept shutting itself down, and my machine keeps freezing (ie nothing seems to be happening although the cursor is moveable.

I have reinstalled AOL, which took several attempts because my machine kept freezing, but with no improvement.

The machine seems to work sort of OK unless I try to access the internet, at which point things go wrong.

Is it worth trying to reinstall Norton, or should I just use the PC manufacturer's (HP) recovery system, and put the machine back to its "as new" status? Or is this too drastic? Would Windows update reinstall SP2, etc? My PC is about three years old.

anskyber 18:15 28 Oct 2006

Try disabling your toolbars/add ins first.

"If you are having problems with Internet Explorer 7 hanging, crashing, silently closing or other bizarre behavior, an incompatible toolbar or other add-on maybe involved. The fastest way to determine if an add-on is causing the problem is to run Internet Explorer 7 with no add-ons. You can do this by going to Start, clicking All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click Internet Explorer (No add-ons). This disables all add-ons from loading in that instance of Internet Explorer. If the problem goes away, you can manually disable specific add-ons to find the specific one causing the problem. Below are instructions on how to manually disable a specific toolbar and a list of known incompatible toolbars that can cause serious issues with Internet Explorer 7.

To disable a toolbar open Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

In Windows, click the Start button.
Click All Programs.
Click Accessories.
Click System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Once you determine the toolbar causing the issue, you should uninstall the toolbar through Add or Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel and then check the toolbar’s website for an updated version."

Is what MS say.

wee eddie 18:15 28 Oct 2006

IE7 is still in "Beta"

AOL and IE are like chalk and cheese.

Do a clean reinstall and if AOL is your ISP, forget IE.

I am an ex-Norton user, but it does what it says on the box, now I use AVG.

anskyber 18:18 28 Oct 2006

IE7 is out of Beta and in its final form.

Lion Tamer are you on the latest version? 7.0.5730?

Pineman100 18:19 28 Oct 2006

Are you sure IE7 is still in a beta version? The MS download site doesn't seem to mention this.

(Unless I was on my third gin when I read it).

Pineman100 18:20 28 Oct 2006

Sorry - you beat me by seconds!

Lion Tamer 18:23 28 Oct 2006

Thanks for your replies. I have uninstalled IE7, but things have not improved. Something is seriously wrong, and I am at a loss what to do.,

p;3 18:25 28 Oct 2006

may I just suggest that, if Norton is at present NOT on your machine that you forget about it and go for another such as AVG; Norton is known to be a resources hogger and it is my view that you are better off without it but go for perhaps AVG or similar, and avg is free unlike Norton ,

anskyber 18:33 28 Oct 2006

Try an IE repair. click here

wee eddie 18:34 28 Oct 2006

Many apologies.

Having said that, I won't be taking up Vista until it has been out for at least 6 months either.

I think that what I have said about AOL & IE is fair though.

anskyber 18:36 28 Oct 2006

None needed. I agree with you Vista will wait a while for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?