DRAM error.

rupie 00:07 06 Nov 2005

I have a self built pc at home. The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-8ANXP-D. I have 1GB of crucial Ballistic memory made up of 2 DDRII modules. The unit is about 1 year old. over the last 2 months the mother board has started to emmit a continuous error tone. It only happens probably once every 2 weeks. According to the Gigabyte manual it is a dram error. Diagnostic and system tools find no fault, even if run when the error tone is being emitted. There is also no change in performance. If I turn the computer off and come back to it later the fault is gone. The thing is the fault is not constant and not regular. Does a DRAM error only relate to the RAM put in the DIMM sockets ???

Skills 00:48 06 Nov 2005

Have you checked that your RAM is seated properly? If you have a spare memory slot try moving the modules

You could also try running a memory test such as memtest86 click here and see if that shows anything up.

DieSse 00:52 06 Nov 2005

Read the manual carefully - possibly it's only refering to a tone during te POST tests. It's difficult to see how a RAM error would even be detected during normal running, rather than tests, let alone give an error tone.

It's more possible, I would have thought, that this relates to a temperature or fan issue - this could occur at any time, and would give a tone.

Does your motherboard come with a temperature/fan monitoring program - if it des, then try running it and see what the limits are set to, and whether your system is running too close to the limits and sometimes exceeding them.

rupie 10:26 08 Nov 2005

I have reseated the ram and found no difference. All my mem tests show no faults. When it happens again I will check the temp. status. I have had a fan issue before and it could be that. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)