drafts in Outlook Express

G123 18:28 28 Jan 2008

I put a long message into the drafts folders in Outlook Express, when I came to work on it I could not get in to edit it. Surely that is what a drafts folder is, for work in progress? Help please

Pineman100 18:43 28 Jan 2008

Well, here's a funny thing.

I don't use Outlook Express, but to try and reproduce your situation, I opened it (in Windows XP) and typed a dummy email. I then clicked "Save" (which is what Help & Support says you should do to save a draft). I then closed the email.

The Drafts folder remained empty.

Sea Urchin 18:53 28 Jan 2008

G123 - you should simply click the Drafts folder which reveals the draft message, then open it and continue working on it. And Pineman100 - it sounds as though you did the right thing, but presumably as you don't use OE you did not have an account set up. In which case it cannot save a draft.

G123 20:35 28 Jan 2008

Thanks pineman, but that is exactly my problem, when I open my draft I cannot, after much effort and frustration, edit it. How can I get into it?

G123 20:37 28 Jan 2008

Sorry, I should have thanked sea urchin, is my OE corrupted somehow?

Sea Urchin 21:46 28 Jan 2008

If the rest of the OE functions are working normally there may be a problem with the Drafts folder. Highlight the draft message in question, and using the Move function on the Edit menu put it temporarily in the Inbox for safekeeping. Then using Start and Find/Search look for the Drafts.dbx folder on hard drive, rename it to Drafts.old and then reboot, and Windows will rebuild a new Drafts.dbx folder. Then, using the above procedure, move the message back to the new Drafts folder, and see if you can open and edit it normally.

DieSse 01:16 29 Jan 2008

To open the draft for editing you have to click the drafts folder, then double click the message header, then it opens in a new message window - you can't edit it just in the normal viewing pane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?