Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger

sarah1980 18:45 04 Nov 2007

Hi,

I was downloading something from the internet last night ("Easyzip") whilst at the same time uninstalling WinZip Evaluation version (expired). Suddenly the compupter froze up, and when I rebooted I was unable to connect to the internet (I connect via a Belkin Wireless USB Adapter).

I thought it was a problem with the USB adapter as every time I double clicked on the icon, my PC froze and crashed. So I uninstalled the software and re-installed (from the Belkin CD). But now the PC will not recognise that the adapter is plugged in and I cannot see any of my wireless connections.

Last time it froze, I hit CTRL, ALT, DELETE and an error message came up saying "Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger Has Encountered A Problem And Needs To Close". I have never seen this before, and when I googled it the reports seem to be conflicting. Some say it is a virus, some say it is normal.

I have just tried the Belkin Adapter on my laptop, but although it recognises and installs the new hardware, it cannot seem to find the wireless connections when I click "View All Available Wireless Connections". The green light in the USB adapter is intermittently on and off, so I am hoping it is a problem with the hardware (which is still under warrantee).

I have phoned Belkin who were of little help. It is not a problem with the router as I am typing this from my laptop which has a D-Link card inserted and connects to the network without any problems.

One other anomaly - on the taskbar at the bottom right of my screen, all the icons are displayed and usually they would be hidden and a small arrow would allow you to view them all. This has only happened since the problems with connecting to the internet. I have checked the settings and the still say "hide inactive icons" so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Any help would be gratefully received, I am worried that I am going to lose a whole day's work tomorrow :-(

brundle 21:29 04 Nov 2007

Tried System Restore?

Dr Watson is the debugging tool for Windows, if it pops up occasionally after a problem that's normal, if it keeps appearing and your machine is not working properly, then something is wrong.

Remove and re-install your USB device drivers; unplug all USB devices, go to COntrol Panel/System, Hardware Tab, click Device Manager, right click every entry under USB controllers and select Uninstall. Reboot, have your XP CD handy. Allow Windows to reinstall USBs, you may need to reboot before plugging any devices in again.

exodus 21:36 04 Nov 2007

Hi, Dr. Watson is the MS error reporting tool.
It sometimes causes more problems than it solves.
If you need to disable it, click here

For the icon problem, right click Start/Properties/ Taskbar tab/ Customise box. Initially, change each to Always show, click OK and Apply. If the changes worked correctly, repeat but set to your preferences.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?