Download.Trojan virus

mikybee 17:00 08 Jan 2006

I'm having s problem with the Download.Trojan virus in my System32 folder of Windows. Its in a file called browsela.dll and keeps activating the Norton virus warning. Norton cannot access, remove or qurantine it and I've tried the following without success.
Norton scan in safe mode
A Squared scanner - doesn't even see it
Delete on reboot
Manual deletion from a command line prompt
hitting the computer with a large hammer
(only joking about the last one - it was a small hammer)
The trojen seems rather benign as Norton can delete any other file that it infects/creates but it very annoying
Any ideas anyone.

VoG II 17:03 08 Jan 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen.
You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked.
Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds.
Choose 'Clean'. Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

mikybee 18:40 08 Jan 2006

Thanks VoG. Did the download and ran the scan (64minutes)and managed to find 90 pieces of malware including my infected brousela.dll. Clicked option (only option was 'delete' not 'clean') and went through the cleaning process at the end. Read the log and my file showed 'error during deletion'. Rebooted and problem file is still there - sorry

VoG II 18:47 08 Jan 2006

I'm the one that's sorry, mikybee.

I suggest that you run HJT following this short tutorial click here and then post the log it produces on the Malware Removal forum click here

You should describe the symptoms plus what you have already tried, including Ewido.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?