Downloads to temporary folder

Bathsheba 13:46 23 Jun 2010

I've recently tried to download some software and also some other items like PDF files but they are being saved to a temporary folder (which I can't find). When I download, it goes through the whole procedure as normal and gives me the option to save or run, but they do not launch or appear in my program files.

I tried turning off my McAfee firewall while downloading but it hasn't made any difference.

I'm using Vista & IE.

I've been trying to download pdf files from a third party site which I have been doing for at least a year.

The program I'm trying to download is Microsoft HUP which I have paid for and have checked that I can download again.

What's strange is that it seems to go through the whole process as normal, but normally a shortcut or icon appears on my desktop, but there is just no sign of anything anywhere.

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

hssutton 13:53 23 Jun 2010

Try a search for "downloads"

Kevscar1 14:06 23 Jun 2010

With every download I have ever done it asks you where you want to save it. Just pick a folder that you know is located in a certain place.

Bathsheba 14:10 23 Jun 2010

With every download I have ever down it has aksed me but, this is why this is a problem because now it just automatically tells me it is downloading to a temporary file. It doesn't ask or give me the option to choose a folder.

Also, when I download a pdf file it just doesn't do anything at all - no message, no pop up box, nothing.

I will try and do a screen shot of what happens tonight when I get home.

Kevscar1 14:49 23 Jun 2010

If you know the title of the download enter it in your search for file folders box. It should then show you the locattion. You can even double click it in there and it will run for you.
Are you downloading using any download manager if so go to setting and you should be able to choose the location for any further downloads yourself.

MAT ALAN 22:54 23 Jun 2010

Type %TEMP% into search

or

C:\Users\{YOUR LOGIN NAME}\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5"

MAT ALAN 22:56 23 Jun 2010

click here

info here might help...

Bathsheba 09:29 24 Jun 2010

Thanks for the info - really useful. I will give it a go over the weekend when I have more time. How do I stop this happening in future? Is it my IE settings that I need to change i.e. should I follow the instructions re 'Manage the cache'?

MAT ALAN 10:09 24 Jun 2010

Once you have found the path i would stick with that, as far as i am aware to change the default location is a registry fix...

this is it anyway....

Go to Start -> Run -> type regedit and enter
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Internet Explorer
Create a new String value with key Download Directory and set the value to a valid directory (ex: C:\Download) * if this key already exists, just modify the value D:\ (example) where ever you put it you need enough space to accomodate your downloads...

Seth Haniel 10:13 24 Jun 2010

don't have vista - but think there is something like Shift (or Ctrl) + right click - then save and it lets you choose where it goes

hssutton 09:25 25 Jun 2010

Have just download a firmware file and was not given an option as to were to save it.
Had not seen Seths response.

Typing "download" in the search bar brought up the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache