Downloads end up as shortcuts

thicasabrick 19:00 19 Nov 2006

Hi all, Iv'e just tried to download two different programmes (a video card driver, and the latest version of adaware 1.06) on both occasions all that I got was shortcut icon on my desktop. When i click on the properties of the shortcut it says this is not a valid shortcut. Double clicking on the shortcut does nothing. Hope I've explained my problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Stuartli 19:09 19 Nov 2006

Try the Search facility from Start and list the files you wish to find from Files and Folders.

Just a thought. Have you nominated where downloaded files should be directed i.e. to the Desktop or a dedicated folder?

I used FreshDownload and created a FreshDownload folder for downloads.

Apart from the fact that they can then be installed from the folder they can be retained, if required, as a backup.

grumbledore 19:09 19 Nov 2006

Which browser are you using? If it's Firefox go into Tools>Options>Main>Downloads and check the box that says "always ask me where to save files".

thicasabrick 19:30 19 Nov 2006

I created a new folder on desk top, downloaded file to there. When opening the folder alls there is, is an icon that looks like the one windows throws up when it doesn't know what programme created it. Hope this makes sense.

thicasabrick 19:42 19 Nov 2006

sorry using internet explorer

Stuartli 20:06 19 Nov 2006

Create the downloads folder in Program Files and then create a shortcut to the Desktop.

thicasabrick 22:06 19 Nov 2006

Sory dont think I'm explaining my problem very well. The file I want to download is downloading, but the icon that you would normally click on to execute the programme does nothing. Would it be possible for me to paste a copy of what the icon looks like on this site. Maybe that will help to explain the problem. If this can be done how do I go about it. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone