Downloads Corrupted

pmv 11:19 23 Jan 2007

I am running Windows XP SP2 & broadband thro BT home hub. Downloaded files regularly fail to open showing 'corrupt' or 'not a valid win32 file'. Courtesy of Microsoft support I have made a clean re-install of Windows but the problem persists. A Rootkit Revealer scan shows two entries: HKLM\Policy\Secrets\SAC* and HKLM\Policy\Secrets\SAI* 'Key name contains embedded nulls (*)'
Can anyone tell me what these two are & whether they indicate a malicious rootkit present please?
Google & Microsoft Knowledgebase searches haven't helped.
pmv

johndrew 12:18 23 Jan 2007

I found the people at click here most knowledgeable and helpful on virus/malware problems. You will need to register to post (as here) and will probably be asked for a HiJackThis log of your system so will need to download it (available click here if you don`t have it) and will be expected to carry out various scans.

gudgulf 12:23 23 Jan 2007

click here

It seems these are part of Windows and nothing to worry about.

They are certainly not the cause of your download problems.

pmv 17:09 23 Jan 2007

Thanks for that - if they are not malware then does anyone have a clue why downloads are regularly corrupted?

skidzy 17:19 23 Jan 2007

Firstly where are you downloading from ? and what are you downloading ?
Sorry if you think im being a bit nosey,but the source could be the problem.

pmv 19:32 23 Jan 2007

No, I don't think that's nosey at all. I have had downloads fail as corrupt from TomTom (satnav maps) AVG (free antivirus) and then from Symantec when I decided to take the free package from BT. In that case the program downloads but updates are all corrupt. Windows Media Player 11 also fails every time either as corrupt or not a win32 file. As a result of the WMP11 failure Microsoft said re-install WinXP & I have but the problem persists.

pmv 10:36 24 Jan 2007

Simple as it sounds, I have fixed the problem by turning off the NVidia firewall while downloading. WMP11 has now installed & even Symantec updates are working. Thanks for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?