Downloads

bobkikos 17:24 24 Aug 2009

Since installing IE8 on my laptop, which runs Vista Premium, every time I download a file either through IE8 or Firefox I am unable to detect it on my hard drive. I have displayed hidden files etc., but to no avail. Downloads are listed in Firefox but I cannot open them.

Any ideas?

rawprawn 17:31 24 Aug 2009

What have you set downloads to in Firefox?

GaT7 20:16 24 Aug 2009

Each time you download a file in IE you get a 'Save As' applet. Make a note of where the file is being saved.

As rawprawn says, the FF setting for the location of downloaded files can be viewed under FF > Tools > Options > Main > Downloads. Also right-clicking the download in the Firefox Downloads applet & selecting 'Open Containing Folder' will open the 'downloads' folder. G

GaT7 20:18 24 Aug 2009

If it's Vista, it's usually the 'Downloads' folder by default isn't it? Not sure as I use WinXP, but it may be similar to Win7? G

bobkikos 13:39 25 Aug 2009

Files downloaded under Firefox go to Desktop>Downloads. The Firefox applet shows the downloads as being completed butthey cannot be opened.

GaT7 14:38 25 Aug 2009

That's a strange one. Because if there's a problem with the new IE8 install, it shouldn't affect FF, which is a completely separate entity.

Have you tried clearing Internet Cache in both browsers?

Does a download manager make a difference, e.g. Orbit Downloader click here? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?