Downloading updates - help?

bri-an 11:20 14 Jan 2007

The 'yellow shield' which indicates downloading updates seems to be on most of the time just now and the 'percentage' moves incredibly slowly (dial-up!!).
My query is can I stop it? I have elected to not have automatic downloads from MS, but to be informed and asked - but still it seems to go on??
I know IE7 (which I don't want yet) will be on the list for downloads and it will be large, but I cannot seem to stop it - driving me nuts, any help?
Thanks.

dms05 11:26 14 Jan 2007

I think the option you have chosen might actually downloads the updates but doesn't install them until you agree. Have another look at the settings for Updates.

rawprawn 11:26 14 Jan 2007

Just turn auto updates OFF, (not to be told) you will have to remember to update yourself manually.

Pamy 11:28 14 Jan 2007

Have you turned automatic updates off in the windows secuity centre?

thms 11:28 14 Jan 2007
  bri-an 11:34 14 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies, yes I have turned off the auto updates in the Security Centre, that's what I don't understand.
However will return and check all my settings AGAIN, no doubt it will be my own daft fault>

bri-an 13:35 14 Jan 2007

Been offline and checked the Security settings again,"Auto updates is setup to download and install updates only after checking with you" are the exact words.
But still I have the yellow shield and it is at 42% just now.
I am baffled!!

rawprawn 16:57 14 Jan 2007

Control Panel/Security center/Manage Security settings (at the bottom)/Automatic Updates/Tick the bottom option Turn Off automatic Updates/ Do not forget to click APPLY

bri-an 06:04 15 Jan 2007

Thanks, rawprawn, security updates were going strong again as soon as I opened the computer this morning!!
Really want it to do as it said, ie notify me but ASK when to download/install (as opposed to stopping them altogether).
However have now chosen that item again from Ctrl Panel, as you said, and yellow shield has didappeared - and now , a new shield Asking me HAS appeared!!! Success at last.
Many thanks.

bri-an 06:06 15 Jan 2007

'didappeared'!! - too early in the morning, fingers not connecting with brain yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?