downloading Raw photos

jeanandf 19:02 31 Mar 2006

I am having trouble downloading Raw photos from my new Olympus E500. I have never tried Raw before now so haven't a clue ......can you help?

recap 20:05 31 Mar 2006

Camera RAW files are unprocessed, meaning all the photo processing is done on the computer. It is like taking a film negative to a dark room to be developed. The RAW file is the negative and the computer serves as the dark room. With a RAW file, you have complete control over the temperature adjustments (for white-balance), tint, hue, and exposure. However, since Camera RAW files are not typical images, most image-viewing programs will not open them. Therefore, most camera companies include Camera RAW editing software with their high-end cameras. These programs allow you to open RAW files, do the necessary processing, and save them in common image formats such as bitmap, TIFF, and JPEG.

If you click here there is a help section, click the RAW File Format link under Index if you require the Olympus Studio software.

hssutton 20:40 31 Mar 2006

Just go to the pixmantec site click here and download rawshooter essentials, it's freeware.

Initially you can accept the default settings for conversion to Tiff, or if you prefer Jpg.

As conversion does not destroy the original raw file you can then play around with all the various settings to find out how it all works.

You can also download a comprehensive manual.

If you prefer, such as Picassa and Irfanview will open your raw files, but rawshooter is the way to go.

Harry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017