Downloading programmes on new pc!, please help!

gazmix 00:16 12 Nov 2007

Hi
I've a new pc, i have to be on dial-up for some time & i'm trying to download programmes i had on my old pc!

I have downloaded my version of Windows Messenger 8.1 from filehippo & when i try to sign in, it says 'a newer version is available, that i must have to continue!'
Why when the version on my old pc works ok! & if filehippo has them, why can't they be used if i need the newer one!

Also, i'm trying to download AVG from filehippo & have tried from other places. Sometimes my dial-up connection fails. On my old pc, i could click on the download link & it would restart from where it leaft of, on here it doesn't & i have to start again!, i've done this 5 times & not got the download as it stops mid download & i have to start again!
Why can't i carry on from where i leaft off as on the old slow pc!

Please help, this is stressing me so much!

Gaz

gazmix 00:20 12 Nov 2007

p.s. it's Windows live messenger BETA if that helps anyone help me!! BETA, i don't recall being on my other pc!, maybe a wrong version i dunno, stumped!!!

Devil Fish 00:28 12 Nov 2007

to carry on with a download if the connection cuts off you will need a down load manager you will find some click here
though i cant recommend any because i have never used them

[email protected] 00:29 12 Nov 2007

click here to help resume downloads at lost connection

gazmix 00:40 12 Nov 2007

But i never needed them on my last pc & that didn't have what you say!
I just got back online & carried on from where leaft off!

Why do i get 'WINDOWS LIVE BETA' A newer version is available, you must install this in order to continue. Why does filehippo issue old versions if they can't be used!

On my old pc i have Windows Messenger 8.1 from filehippo & it works ok, i downloaded it again & it says the above!

Devil Fish 00:41 12 Nov 2007

as for windows live messenger the latest stable version is 8.5

programs that access the internet are constantly updated to ward off new security threats and increase functionality

[email protected] 00:45 12 Nov 2007

the latest messenger seems to be 8.5.13.02
if you look at the right column on the link 8.1 seems quite a few versions ago,depending on which one you downloaded,download latest version 2.29 mb is clearly stated so dont know how you managed to d/l the beta version.But this may explain why you get newer version message.
Dont use or never have done used messenger so cant help further on it.

gazmix 00:47 12 Nov 2007

how come filehippo & majorgeeks's old windows programmes are available if they aren't available to work!! as i say i have on my old pc windows messenger 8.1 & its fine, on this pc, i can't get it working & its from filehippo! I've just installed Media Player classic, that works & Mailwasher 2.0, that works ok!

[email protected] 00:48 12 Nov 2007

sorry missed link off
click here
Devil Fish sorry im on dial up tonight takes a while to get through Lol.

gazmix 00:59 12 Nov 2007

Raven
The 8.1 version i downloaded earlier that i've deleted as it failed was 17.39MB
Your link for the new version is 2.29MB

Am i now downloading the whole latest file!!

[email protected] 01:10 12 Nov 2007

its the same size on major geeks so i can only presume so,like i said i dont use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?