Downloading pictures from web.

wotan 21:58 18 Sep 2003

Hi, again, I am still having problems down loading pictures from web sites.
I have tried the suggestions made on this forum but am still having some difficulty.
When I right click with the cursor over the required picture, I get the box up showing me that the picture is being down loaded. When this action finishes, I go to 'My Pictures' file in 'My documents' and click on the AOL icon that apparently indicates the down loaded file, but instead of the required picture I get either a message telling me that the required file is empty or occassionaly I get a box containing any print that was around the picture, but no picture.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Regards, Wotan

VoG II 22:02 18 Sep 2003

It sounds as if AOL is/has been set as your default viewer for pictures.

Try Shift+Right click and select Open with and select Paint or any other "picture" program that you have. I would suggest that you also tick the box to always open this type of file with the program.

MAJ 22:03 18 Sep 2003

Have you tried downloading it using IE instead of AOL's browser, wotan?

JFT 22:04 18 Sep 2003

If i remember correctly with AOL you have to set your preferences to "Never Compress Graphics" or words to that effect, to download JPEGs.
I dont know if you have tried this but i hope it helps.

wotan 22:09 18 Sep 2003

I shall go and give it a try, thank god for this forum, I knew I should never have got rid of me Commodore 64

wotan 10:00 19 Sep 2003

Problem solved, it was as both VoG and JFT said, a problem with AOL. Pictures now downloading o.k, so thanks to everyone for their input.
Regards,
Wotan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?