Downloading pdf files from Net

Severn Bore 12:23 19 Dec 2003

Hi
For some reason I am no longer able to view and download pdf files from the Internet. All I get is a logo in the top right of the browser window like a rectangle containing a triangle, square and ball in different colours. I have been using IE6 for a considerable time and have not changed the security settings. I also have the latest version of Adobe pdf reader.
Any ideas please?

minter 12:34 19 Dec 2003

Have you tried uninstalling Acrobat Reader and then re-installing it.

It may have been corrupted by something or other.

MAJ 12:35 19 Dec 2003

I had trouble with the new version of Adobe Reader 6, so much so that I had to revert to using version 5, Severn Bore. Have you set the correct options in Reader 6 by unticking "Display PDF in Browser" at Edit > Preferences?

Taw® 13:27 19 Dec 2003

I had similar reaction and after uninstall and install all back to normal

Wak 13:59 19 Dec 2003

Hi, I don't think you can read a PDF file straight from the net unless the actual file contains Adobe Reader, which I very much doubt.
The best thing is to download the PDF file to your desktop and then open it with Adobe.
I've always found that the best way .

Severn Bore 15:31 19 Dec 2003

Hi All
I checked settings and they were OK, so then reinstalled and all is now working. I failed to download acrobat 4 until after my first install of Acro 6. I suspect this corrupted the new install! Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Severn Bore

Wak 15:59 19 Dec 2003

I would also add that PDF files written in the days of Acrobat 4 or earlier look for an .EXE file (acroread.exe) which has a different name in Acrobat 5 & 6 (AcroRd32.exe), therefore, an early PDF file may not be readable by Acrobat 5 & 6 as it can't find the file it's looking for.
The files still work the same, just the name is different.

Severn Bore 22:13 19 Dec 2003

Thanks for the added info about earlier Acrobat versions. I was unaware of this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)