Downloaded Malwarebytes - now having problems?

spuds 11:42 30 Sep 2013
Answered

Perhaps I should have known better, but this morning I decided to download Malwarebytes for a trial. Going to the Malwarebytes website I was directed to cnet for the free download, and that is where I seemed to incur problems. The download came with a number of adverts for Dell and possibly others, going on the taskbar activity 'before' actually going through the download and install procedures. Both the Malwarebytes and cnet are I assume correct, having linked to Malwarebytes direct, then being re-directed to cnet automatically for the download?.

After 'installing' Malwarebytes my computer (running XP Home) appears to not follow any commands and appears frozen. No matter what I attempt, I get no or very little activities, except to be informed that Malwarebytes is 172 days out of date. I cannot even uninstall Malwarebytes, because neither the own installer or Revo can be activated.

I already have SuperAntiSpyware installed on the computer.

Any help or advice appreciated.

spuds 11:48 30 Sep 2013

Now I am not sure if this is anything to do with the above problem, but the Dell part of the above as been highlighted in red, and clicking on it, directs me to a Powerlink . com website advert

So not sure if this is a new part of the PCA website, because I have never seen it previously on the other (XP Home) computer. The computer I am running at present is W7 with no ad-blockers.

Woolwell 11:54 30 Sep 2013

Unfortunately you have almost certainly picked up malware/virus. Suggest system restore to before the download and run SuperAntiSpyware. Malwarebytes has become a bit naughty by leading you to cnet for a download. Cnet tends to have other downloads with it. A better way to download Malwarebytes is from Malwarebytes but you have to register with your name and email address.

Woolwell 11:57 30 Sep 2013

ps And signs up for newsletter. It's a pain.

spuds 12:14 30 Sep 2013

Woolwell - That's the point, the computer appears frozen and will not take any commands. At this stage, it would appear to be a re-reformat option, which I wouldn't like to do, if other options are available.

I used the official Malware .org website, but was redirected automatically to cnet, assuming that this was due to a free download request.

rdave13 12:28 30 Sep 2013

Try booting up in safe mode and run system restore from there. I don't know what's happened to C|Net but I keep clear of the site now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:58 30 Sep 2013

Agree with the others Cnet is bundling all sorts of crap with their downloads (I was caught with checkpoint about three weeks ago)

and you need to be really careful installing anything from there definitely one to avoid.

If you have a DVD then boot from DVD and select repair your computer and then do a system restore from the options.

If no CD reboot tap F8 to get to the Advance Menu tools and again select system restore.

spuds 13:20 30 Sep 2013

rdave13 - Can you please explain how to get into Safe Mode, attempting to press 'F keys' (the keyboard appears locked) gets no responses on the problem/other XP Home computer ?.

Not sure if this will get through, but I have tried to respond at about 12.30pm and get a PCA message " You can only post 2 new threads per 60 minutes". So it would appear that I have been locked out of my own thread with a timed delay of 60 minutes?.

I have posted another Help request thread a short time ago, so perhaps this 'new thread' was the problem. If so, then its making this website even more of a problem to use and participate in, having to wait to post replies to other user's in your own posts?.

spuds 13:23 30 Sep 2013

Apologies to Jock1e and Fruit Bat for late response - See above

I'll see if I can locate the original XP Home disk, but might take awhile?.

Woolwell 14:11 30 Sep 2013

The problem with posts and new threads has been around for a little while. It was done to stop spammers but has hit people like you and especially Brumas who could run his Friday picture puzzles.

Nontek 14:18 30 Sep 2013

Shut down PC by holding Start Button down for at least four seconds (this will not harm PC). Then wait half a minute and restart in normal manner, during restart keep tapping F8 to get into Safe Mode. Then try your Restore again.

I totally agree with the other guys, CNET is no longer to be trusted for Downloads, though I used to like CNET, once bitten twice shy, I shall never use CNET again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?