Downloaded files will not open

BlackLab 00:32 24 Jul 2004

I am running I.E.6.0 on Windows 98 s.e.
Since returning home I find that when I click on a "download now" type of link on any web-site, the web-site will indicate that the selected file is downloading but the "download dialogue box" (or whatever you call it), does not appear. It is apparent that something is downloading, but I do not know where it is going. When the activity ceases I sometimes get a new window with what looks like a tiny file icon in its top left-hand corner. This icon is very small and looks like a box containing multi-coloured triangles. This "File" will not open. Please advise.

GaT7 00:42 24 Jul 2004

Try an IE repair.

Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Click on 'Microsoft Internet Explorer...' & click on Add/Remove. In the box that pops up click on 'Repair Internet Explorer' & press OK. Restart your PC when the process completes. Good luck, G

GaT7 00:49 24 Jul 2004

As a temporary workaround or alternative you could try a free download manager like Fresh Download click here or LeechGet 2004 click here. I use the former & am well satisfied. HTH, G

BlackLab 19:39 25 Jul 2004

I have installed DAP as a workaround.
I tried the repair option, unfortunately it made no difference.

GaT7 20:22 25 Jul 2004

Also try click here & click here.

Do you have all Win updates installed? click here to check.

Have you checked your PC with antispyware & antivirus programs? If not, I'll give you some links when you reply.

DAP is ad/spyware -
click here. The alternatives I gave you earlier aren't. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?