Downloaded attachment in Outlook Express

PeterPaul 15:43 07 Apr 2005

I download midi files from newsgroups in Outlook Express as attachments to the message. Where are they stored on the computer prior to saving?

I want to be able to select and save all downloaded attachments as group rather than individually.

recap 16:20 07 Apr 2005

They may be in either: Temp Internet Folder or My Download Files.

When you are downloading files, you should see a pane telling you which file it is being downloaded to.

PeterPaul 17:02 07 Apr 2005

Thanks, recap.

They are not in either temp or My downloads.

With newsgroups, the posting is downloaded as an email and shows the midi file as an attachment.

I have used search, etc. to try and find the location of the midi files without success. I suspect they are somewhere in the Outlook Express dbx files, but can't find them. They are clearly stored somewhere since I can save them from the email attachment to disk, etc.

DieSse 18:08 07 Apr 2005

This may help you handle them better click here

I haven't used it , but it looks as though it will help, at least for the future.

Where are they stored now - in the dbx file I beleive - you can't get at them from inside there.

DieSse 18:13 07 Apr 2005

How about this too click here

PeterPaul 19:43 07 Apr 2005

Thanks DieSse - I will try the first one you recommend. The second is free but only handles pictures.

DieSse 21:55 07 Apr 2005

Have another look at it's own site - it says all attachments. click here

THE TERMINATOR 00:15 08 Apr 2005

The attachment should have a name, why don't you then do a search and see where it is been kept?

PeterPaul 07:54 08 Apr 2005

Thanks, Terminator.

I did a search - the attachment was not found. I have downloaded and run one of the attachment extractor programs recommended, but it fails to extract attachments from the newsgroup or indeed to recognise it.

I thought for a time that perhaps the attachments were still on the client server, but I came off the internet and saved them conventionally one at a time, so they are clearly on my computer - somewhere.

My reason for trying to find their location is that it takes time to save them one at a time. Perhaps a macro is the answer.

zarobian 09:33 08 Apr 2005

If the OS is WinXp then check the folder named "My Received Files". You will find this folder under My Documents.

PeterPaul 09:37 08 Apr 2005

I have now resolved this problem, thanks to DieSse pointing me towards relevant software.

After initial difficulties with the program, a query to its publisher produced a prompt and helpful response, and I can now extract all attachments to a folder and save en bloc.

Thanks to all for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?