Does anybody know of a way to download the windoes 98SE updates from the microsoft web site to I can burn them to a CD to save for myself and to apply to my parents machine. I have BB so I can download no problem but my parents are on dial up and have never updated so it could take hours to download all the updates.
This seems complicated, but isn't THAT bad. It just takes a long time :)
1. Go to windows update
2. Click on personalise Windows Update
3. Check the box that says "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also The Windows Update Catalog provides a searchable collection of updates that can be installed on Windows-based computers across your home or corporate network. This is recommended for advanced users only."
4. Click on View Installation history - Update will tell you that you made changes, agree to the change.
5. Click on the "Read More"option of an installed update
6. click on the "Microsoft Security Bulletin" lick, which can be found in the pop-up box with in the following sentence. For more information about this vulnerability, read the associated Microsoft Security Bulletin. (This site may be in English.)
7. A new window will open (Hopefully)
8. Some (by no means all) of the updates will have a "Patch Availability" link
9. If it does, click on the link and SAVE IT TO DISK.
10. Do this for all the updates that you can.
11. Save all future updates to disk before installing.
12. I don't know what to do about the updated patches that direct you back to Windows Update for the patch availability. If there are only a few, maybe you can download those directly onto your Parents' PC.