DOWNLOAD WARNING

BILLYGEORGE 10:15 08 Jul 2007

I have used the free downloads from this site before and been pleased with what I got.
But last night I downloaded "ARISTAN DVD PLAYER"..
It was full of spy ware, Luckily, I have NTL Netguard
and it found 7 items imediatly.
It also downloaded to my computer a search bar at the bottom of my screen and also an atomic clock.
I could not uninstall these so I had to do a system restore to get rid of them.
I then ran my anti-spyware and it found a further 3 items
Has anyone else had problems with downloads?
Bill

skidzy 10:23 08 Jul 2007

Where did you download from Billy ?

Different sites may add there own sponsors,hence why you got Malware/Spyware.

Stuartli 10:28 08 Jul 2007

BILLYGEORGE says from this website hence, presumably, the warning.

BILLYGEORGE 10:30 08 Jul 2007

I downloaded from this site,...what a shock

skidzy 10:43 08 Jul 2007

Its not actually from this site Stuartli,its a redirection from PCA to PC-World Downloads.

Obviously the recommendation is here at PCA,and if the download is containing Spyware etc im sure someone at PCA will look into this as soon as possible.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:50 08 Jul 2007

I've downloaded and tried this app and you really need to read the first agreement that pops up as it explains what will be installed and the sponsorware that is attached. The spyware are all false positives. As the geeks say..RTFM.

G

BILLYGEORGE 12:45 08 Jul 2007

Re not reading agreement, if you want a dvd player, you want a dvd player, you should not need to have look at small print to tell you you are also getting things you do not want.
If you go to a shop for a tin of beans you dont expect to have to go home with 2lbs of flour and a brick!

Forum Editor 12:53 08 Jul 2007

you must read the agreement that appears when you install this software - it makes it quite clear what is about to be installed.

There's no spyware, NTL Netguard is giving you false positives.

Kate B 13:06 08 Jul 2007

Anyone who doesn't carefully read the terms & conditions of software, especially free software, before they click OK, is daft.

kindly 13:25 08 Jul 2007

Billygeorge can be held responsible for his download and putting it onto the computer, but I would say we have all been there. Lets not throw stones at people. I dare bet not all of the people on this forum have read AND understood the tearms of asgreement on software they have downoaded.
Lets be responsible and give advice correctly and make it enjoyable on the computer. Ok so if things go wrong we get upset or angry, thats why the forums are here to use and that is what billygeorgew has done.

Kate B 13:35 08 Jul 2007

I always read T&Cs on any software that doesn't come from Mozilla, Microsoft or Adobe. It's called taking responsibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?