download warning

2020 15:11 25 Nov 2006

Hi i have downloaded morpheus to download some songs, next i get a windows security alert to say that i need to to download win anti viris pro 2006. i have downloaded this and then i get a message from spyware doctor blocking this download. what should i do?
thanks

ACOLYTE 15:16 25 Nov 2006

I would do a spyware scan,and maybe a virus scan,and just because a popup tells you to download somthing doesnt always mean its a good thing to do.Win anti virus pro 2006 is a rouge program that pretends to be what its not so i would say spyware doctor has done you a favour by blocking it.But i would still scan for malware to see where the popup came from in the first place.

VoG II 15:16 25 Nov 2006
  2020 15:35 25 Nov 2006

Acolyte and VoG
thanks for that, i thought the warning was from microsoft thats why i downloaded it right away. i'll be more careful next time
cheers

rodriguez 15:59 25 Nov 2006

Ignore all pop ups from "anti virus" companies saying you need to download their software - you don't and they just want to fill your machine with spyware. The best thing to do next time you get a pop up saying you need to download anti virus software is to close it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017