Download times

Cam-330894 22:57 26 Nov 2003

I hope you can help. I am looking for very cheap initial hosting for a project I have developed. I am not sure how big the site will get but I need cheap hosting now. I have read that sites hosted on servers in the US are slower than sites hosted in the UK. I wonder if anyone has any experience.

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:16 26 Nov 2003

why a US - hosted site should run slower. Take a look at (and time) a big US site like
click here and compare it with a big UK site such as
click here

I defy you to determine much difference - if any - in loading speeds.

Cheap hosting is not necessarily good hosting, but you'll find lots of competing web hosts - far too many for me to list, and I have no particular favourite. I certainly wouldn't pick a very cheap host because I know that corners would have to be cut somewhere.

Anything at all decent will, in my opinion, cost at least £100 a year, and here, picked at random is one that fits the bill
click here

Cam-330894 23:19 26 Nov 2003

Maybe cheap was the wrong word. I am looking for value without scrimping on too many services. If the project folds I want to be able to walk away without having mortgaged my soul. Thanks for the link.

Forum Editor 23:28 26 Nov 2003

I think that the company I linked you to have struck a good balance between economy and service. If your project folds maybe you'll go on to develop another - it tends to happen when the bug bites - so your investment might turn out well in the end anyway.

Cam-330894 00:02 27 Nov 2003

Off to sleep now. will check the sites carefully in the morning.

Simon_P 21:18 29 Nov 2003

I use click here;jsessionid=2E77546F3082D5A5A783172F9A0ADCCF.TC32b
For about £90 Pa

500 MB web Space 3GB month bandwidth ample for what I want.

Many packages availible

You can also get your domain name from them or use one you have.

I find them to be very good, but have not used any others so cant make a comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?