Download Speeds

sam jones 19:35 19 May 2006

I have 2mbps broadband. When i download something, it downloads at about 100kbps. Is there any way to make downloads use a larger amount of the available speed?

rdave13 19:41 19 May 2006

Have you checked your BB download speed. click here

Diversion 20:07 19 May 2006

Hi there, you can check your bandwidth click here. I am having problems with mine, formally Homecall now Pipex. Pipex are sorting out what Homecall could not, I’ve only been getting half of my bandwidth it seems to me that is all you are getting. Your download speed should be in the region of 240KB/ps, you may have to disable Ad-Aware if have on your computer because it's a box that pops up on the screen and it classes it as popup. Press the retest button to get a true reading. And I use a program called Throttle to boost my internet speed, it doesn't improve mine very much but it stops it dropping below a certain level.

johnnyrocker 20:33 19 May 2006

i didnt think adaware was a pop up blocker or have i misread?

johnny.

rdave13 20:39 19 May 2006

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware is an antispyware prog.An excellent one.

sam jones, some downloads will be slower than others depending on the server you download from and "traffic", for want of a better word, ie. how many are downloading from same site etc.

Diversion 20:43 19 May 2006

Ad-Watch which is part of Ad-Aware includes a pop up blocker; sorry for not pointing that out johnnyrocker you’re quite right to point it out.

johnnyrocker 20:45 19 May 2006

no probs just that i dont have ad watch, hence the misunderstanding.

johnny.

Stuartli 20:48 19 May 2006

Ad-Watch is not available in the free version although listed - most people use the free version..:-)

beeuuem 21:28 19 May 2006

the TCPoptimizer from click here does appear to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?