Download speed on new pc?

Drum 19:42 13 Jan 2009

Thanks for your input earlier. Got McAffee preloaded, so have not quite tackled the AVG issue yet.
Just got said pc up and running, Sony Vaio VGC-JS1E/S, nice computer but one of my first problems is ....although I have got a fast wireless broadband connection, any downloads that I do take an absolute age. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to tell this pc
what speed to connect at?

MAT ALAN 21:27 13 Jan 2009

It will much depend first on your chosen ISP and the package you have subscribed to..

Got McAfee preloaded, so have not quite tackled the AVG issue yet.

If that suggests you have both installed on your PC you will need to get rid of one to avoid software conflict...

Download speeds will differ depending on what you are downloading and from where...

Drum 10:27 14 Jan 2009

Thanks for your help Mat. I was comparing the download speeds between two computers both connected to the same ISP and wireless modem etc, and the brand new PC is a lot slower than my old desktop although the Bus speed and the processor speed on the new PC is a lot faster? Also has more RAM.

Download speeds seem to be slower on the new PC, it takes longer to boot, and opening programs etc seems to take a longer as well. I was surprised with this because on paper the spec of the new PC is streets ahead of my old one.

They have a different OS however,... XP on my old one and Vista on the new, and there seems to be of lot of stuff happening in Vista in the background. I'll need to try and weed out some of these processes with MSconfig or services.msc , and I presume that if I create a restore point before each change I should be okay if it goes pear shaped?

The new PC has got McAffee preloaded, and of course I'll uninstall this before putting another AV on it.

oldbeefer2 10:32 14 Jan 2009

Suggestions from MS - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?