download problems in ie7

annspain 21:27 02 Jan 2009

hi guys i have a compaq laptop with amd turion running vista and in the last month i am unable to download anything like trial games ( either run or save) from the msn games site, a friend suggested getting an alternative browser like firefox but i am unable to download this either.

The process seems to complete but when i go to the saved file it is not there,

I also notice that the automatic updater on my avg antivirus is disabled everytime i log out

I am not very pc savvy but need some help please for a newbie. be gentle with me pls

mocha 22:27 02 Jan 2009

Hi annspain,

Are you sure that your browser is saving your files to the folder you intend them to go.

Try a full search of your hard drive for a file you know you have downloaded, for instance if you have downloaded the latest firefox the file should be called Firefox Setup 3.0.5.exe, type this into the search bar and make sure it will search your harddrive(s), see if you get any results with this.

annspain 10:01 03 Jan 2009

Hi mocha
thanks for the reply.i did a full search on the hard drive but did not find firefox or any other downloads.do you have any other ideas to help me
thanks

brundle 10:07 03 Jan 2009

By default downloads go to the Downloads folder, click your account name from the Start menu to locate it amongst your user folders. AVG v 7.5 or v 8? Is the AVG icon in colour or greyed out in day-to-day use?

mocha 08:41 04 Jan 2009

Hi annspain,

When you are downloading a file with IE7 you should first of all see The 'File Download - Security Warning' Box asking you to 'Run - Save - Cancel', Clicking 'Save' brings you to the 'Save as' Box, at the top of the Box the place where it will be downloaded is shown, bottom left of this box is a button saying 'Browse Folders' if you click this button you should be able to see all your previous Files that you have downloaded (Providing you have not deleted them), in the 'File Name' Box the name of the file you are downloading should be shown. Click the 'Save' Button the download should then start, tick the 'Close this dialog box when download completes'.

Once the download has completed this box should then disappear if box does not disappear then the download has not finished.

If all as gone well then your downloaded file should be in the folder that was shown at the top of the 'Save as' Box.

If this is not the case then I suggest that you run a full scan with AVG. To manually update AVG go to the AVG icon at the bottom right of the screen, right click to bring up menu then left click 'Update Now'. This will give you your latest virus definitions.

I also recommend you do a Spyware scan with your antispyware program, make sure this has been updated before you do the scan.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?