Download manager?

Enoch 06:04 23 Aug 2006

Please advise. I am running XPhome on a laptop and I am on broadband. I have seen offered "Download Managers" which promise to increase the speed of downloading.

Question: As I am already on 2mg broadband does (or will) a "Download Manager" improve my downloading speed or is it only for "dial-up"?

Advice would be appreciated

€dstowe 06:31 23 Aug 2006

If it's free and from a reliable source, try it.

If it costs, forget it.

Enoch 06:40 23 Aug 2006

€dstone, I agree, but I try and only download programmes that improve my usage. Over the years (I am a senior citizen) I have had the experience that downloading and installing, what seems to be a good idea or programme, some of which serves to slow my PC down. Usually the loss in speed is not worth the downloaded programme. This is why I am trying to get an opinion before I commit myself

€dstowe 06:44 23 Aug 2006

Personally, I wouldn't bother as I am very sceptical about the capabilities of these programs but, some people would strongly disagree with that.

JayDay 06:51 23 Aug 2006

Yes it will still make a difference. I am on an up to 8mb connection and just experimented downloading a 24mb file with and without a download manager.

With the download manager I got speeds of 850-890 kb/sec

Without I got speeds of 730-738 kb/sec

Here are a few free ones to look at click here click here click here click here

The other advantage of download mangers is the ability to schedule downloads, ideal if you need to download large files at non-peak times.

Like €dstowe said if it's free give it a go.

Enoch 07:20 23 Aug 2006

JayDay, thanks. Any preference regarding the download managers suggested. Which one do you use?

JayDay 07:36 23 Aug 2006

I use Free Download Manager click here

jbaker65 08:49 23 Aug 2006

Star downloader is pretty good.

Stuartli 09:36 23 Aug 2006

I'm also a FreshDownload fan and have been for years - works well with both dialup and broadband, supports Resume and Pause (if the downloads website has the facility) and is free of ads etc.

Just make sure that it is configured correctly from Options for your browser.

mattyc_92 10:34 23 Aug 2006

I like "Free Download Manager" (see JayDay's link).
It is, well free as the title suggests, but also allows you to "pause", "resume", and "download" entire websites....

EFC1878 12:29 23 Aug 2006

Not saying it is the best (doubt whether it is but it is free and works) or that it speeds the download up noticeably but I use Getright for the main reason that if i do not complete a download for any reason I can pick up wher ei left another time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires