Download Limits On ISPs

Most ISPs give you a maximum limit you can download per month. How and is there anyway you can find out how much you have used just like you would free minutes on your mobile? My ISP is NTL by the way (well Virgin Media now).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 04 Apr 2007

Net Monitor :-
Netmeter click here

pj123 19:18 04 Apr 2007

I'm on NTL (Virgin Media

There are no download limits so you don't need to monitor your access.

MAJ 19:33 04 Apr 2007

They might say that they have no limits, but the Virgin Media Acceptable Use Policy applies. click here

Strawballs 19:41 04 Apr 2007

MAJ unless I am overlooking something that is only acceptable (missuse,abuse etc) use not amount used I could not find any thing about download limits.

MAJ 19:51 04 Apr 2007

A lot of ISPs say they have no download limits, Strawballs, but the clause they use is always something like this one:

"3.2. You must not use the Services in any way that is unlawful or illegal or in any way to the detriment of other Internet users. You also must not allow anybody using your connection to use the Services in any way that is unlawful or illegal or in any way to the detriment of other Internet users."

In other words, if you start downloading loads of music and films using P2P applications and we see that you're using a shedload of bandwidth, which might be to the detriment of other customers, our fair/acceptable use policy will kick in.

anskyber 19:54 04 Apr 2007

Yes indeed. Other than some who are on old agreements most people will be caught by the "fair usage" policy that I think all ISPs now use and to which you have referred.

Strawballs 19:57 04 Apr 2007

Point taken but I am on an old contract.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?