download how to where ?

podlod 15:34 11 Nov 2007

Hi, I have recently downloaded a certain item from a site and when it downloads it goes directly to my desktop, I want to download it to somewhere else but I have forgotten how to change where to I want to download to, please refresh my memory? I guess old age is catching up on me!!

Karakorum 15:37 11 Nov 2007

Which browser are you using?

Meshuga 15:43 11 Nov 2007

podlod, If you are using XP then you should be given the option of Running or Saving the download. You then click on Save and you then get a dropdown list of places to save it to. Select the place you want it to go and then you can install it from that location.

p;3 15:51 11 Nov 2007

easy; create a new folder in My Documents and label it 'downloads'; you can then send anything to it and know where to find it ; you can also shortcut that folder to your desktop; easy

try again and see how easy and simple it is ::))

podlod 16:17 11 Nov 2007

Hi again and thanks for being so prompt, I have google as a browser, and when I want to download something a box comes up and says do you want to save and thats all, it does not give me a choice, on the bottom of the box it just says save to desktop all the time, and yes i do have xp.

Meshuga 16:27 11 Nov 2007

podlod, Don`t understand that. Whenever I download anything I always get the option to save where I want. Might be something to do with google. Why not try IE or another browser to download anything.

VoG II 16:27 11 Nov 2007

Google browser? - I didn't know there was such a thing.

If you are using Firefox, Tools > Options > Main tab. Click the Browse button to change where to save downloaded files to.

p;3 16:38 11 Nov 2007

have you set your home page TO BE google perhaps?

when I ,working in the IE browser and with a forum as my chosen homepage , download anything I am invariably greeted with a scroll down option of where to save it

Fingees 16:51 11 Nov 2007

I personally find it easier to download onto desktop, as it's far easier to find. I then put it where I want it.

I know it doesn't answer your problem, it was just a point.

All the best.

podlod 14:53 12 Nov 2007

Hi, Yes this is my homepage, and I tried tools, option,main tab and it works, great, but everytime I try to download something a box comes up and says`this certain item cannot be saved because an uknown error has occured, try another location` which I have and it keeps repeating the same message? maybe I should try another browser to see if that works, but I forget how to, or maybe its another reason ? please help.

podlod 14:54 12 Nov 2007

Hi, Yes this is my homepage, and I tried tools, option,main tab and it works, great, but everytime I try to download something a box comes up and says`this certain item cannot be saved because an uknown error has occured, try another location` which I have and it keeps repeating the same message? maybe I should try another browser to see if that works, but I forget how to, or maybe its another reason ? please help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?