Download button on a web page

Mr. Chips 09:36 28 Nov 2008

I am hoping to add a 'download' button to one of my web pages so that a pdf file can be downloaded by the requestor.

Can anyone suggest how I go about this please.

MAJ 09:50 28 Nov 2008

Create the button in a graphics program, or download one from one of the many sites that offer them for free. Insert the button into your page using your web creation software (Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc.), insert the link associated with the button (your PDF file). Then upload the Page, button graphic and PDF file to the appropriate folder on your Host's web server.

MAJ 10:57 28 Nov 2008

Different users have their browser set differently, when they click on your link the PDF file will display in the browser for some or download to their computer for others. There's nothing you can do about that, other than to have the PDF file in a zip folder, but that's only for info, don't go to that bother, knowledgeable users will know that they can right-click on your download button and choose "Save Target As" if they want to download it to their computer instead of displaying it in the browser.

Mr. Chips 11:18 28 Nov 2008

Dear MAJ,

I couldn't believe that it would be so simple.

I followed your advice and now have the thing working.

When I download the pdf file, it comes up in Adobe Acrobat. ... I was expecting the download save/run box to appear ... but either is great.

Thank you for the time spent helping me ... it is much appreciated.

regards Dave P

MAJ 12:21 28 Nov 2008

Happy to help, glad you got it sorted, Mr. Chips.

"When I download the pdf file, it comes up in Adobe Acrobat. ... I was expecting the download save/run box to appear ... but either is great."

That's what I was talking about in my second post, if you right-click on your download button and choose "Save Target As", it will download for you, or you can set Acrobat Reader to not display it in the browser, it's in the Reader's settings somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017