downgrading Windows

nazrat 13:21 17 May 2003

i want to put Windows 95 on a Windows 98 computer when i try it says it won't work and it won't let me is there a way with out having to format anything---------please help!!!!!!

pj123 13:58 17 May 2003

Without reformatting I doubt it very much. You can't go backwards, only forwards.

Legolas 14:02 17 May 2003

Unless you saved the 95 install when installing 98 I think the only way to is to reformat.

Legolas 14:05 17 May 2003

The only other way I can think of is to create a new partition with partition magic and install 95 on the new partition

Terrahawk 14:08 17 May 2003

you would need to format and then install win 95
as pj123 has said you can purchase upgrades to down grade its back to scratch and srart again

keith-236785 15:47 17 May 2003

simply rename the windows folder to something else eg doors, if you shut down to msdos you should get the command prompt (dos prompt) c:> type "dir" this should show several lines of files and directories including windows. type "rename windows doors" dont forget the spaces, this will effectively make your computer think it doesn't have windows installed, then you should be able to load windows 95 back in again (I CAN'T SEE WHY YOU WANT TO DO THIS THOUGH AS WIN 95 IS CRAP, my opinion mate sorry)
hope this helps, one final word though before you remove windows 98 MAKE A START UP DISK, control panel/add remove programs/start up disk tab at the top/make start up disk. good luck mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?