Downgrade Modem V92 to V90

DJ-Garry 20:45 04 Feb 2004

I have an internal PCI hardware modem with an Intel chipset. Deice Manager reports it as: Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem. I used the included CD to install the drivers into my machine running XP Pro. I have great dropout problems with my ISP (Freeserve Anytime). I first contacted BT to have the line checked, all fine. They even turned up the gain and disabled 3 way calling which can sometimes interfere. It seemes that most of the time the dropouts were when someone was triying to dial into the busy line (we have no caller waitng etc) as often just after the dropout the phone would ring with an incoming call. BT said this was probably a coincidence. I then rang Freeserve and they informed me that there modems do not support V.92 and I must downgrade mine to V.90.

Does anyone know how I can do this myself?

Thanks very much, Garry.

Mike ® 20:55 04 Feb 2004

In device manager find your modem entry and disable it, then goto add modem in control panel, choose pick from list and install it as standard 56,000 bps modem.

DJ-Garry 21:39 05 Feb 2004

Thanx Mike ®.
The only trouble with this is that with the new standard 56,000 bps modem installation, you only get th choice to put it on COM port 1 or 2. The Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem is using COM port 3, (PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 1, device 4, function 0). I've tried a few things ie. uninstalling the Intel modem before AND after adding the standard modem to try to install a new standard modem on COM3 but each time XP takes over and auto installs the Intel again. I've also tried installing a standard modem on COM2, then changing the COM port properties in Device Manager to make it COM3, but When trying to connect it windows cannot find the modem.

How can I change which COM port a modem uses AFTER instalation. ie change Intel to COM2 and standard to COM3.

OR,,,,, does anyone else know how to degrade my Intel to V.90 or have any other good ideas?

Thankx guys, Garry.

woodchip 22:02 05 Feb 2004

Sorry if it's a V92 it's a one way street you need to buy a V90

DJ-Garry 23:35 05 Feb 2004

Freeserve gave me the impression I could change the way MY modem connects. They said I have to change the AT set initialization command I think. If I go to Device Manager, modem properties and Advanced tab, I have under Extra Settings, a space to enter 'Extra Initialization Commands'. Is there something I could enter here to do the job. On the driver CD for the modem I have various AT Command.pdf files for the various modems the CD supports. Would the info I need to put there be in one of those files maybe?
Garry.

woodchip 10:28 06 Feb 2004

If you go to Windows Explorer and go to Windows\Inf\Other there should be your modem Inf file in there, It may look something like mine, ASKrkv56.inf if it does open in Notepad and scrole down and look for a line something like this,

HKR, V90mode........1,,"AT+MS=12,1,28000,56000<cr>"

the line starting with AT+ is the line you need to put in the Extra settings box

DJ-Garry 10:16 15 Feb 2004

Back again guys.
I started another question about this subject wording the question differently to try and get different responces click here and Tog gave me a couple of command lines to enter, the second of which: AT+MS=V90,1,300,28800 gave the best results, but I am still getting lots of dropouts. Not as bad as before, it depends on what I'm trying to do I think. Updating my AVG virus program, a 5 minute download, took 7 attempts. Other times you can be online for a hour or so with no problems. I dont understand it.

MORE H E L P pleeeeeease!!!

Cheers, Garry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?