down-turn affecting web sellers

Splodge 15:23 19 Oct 2009

In the past weeks, I have had three adverse results from shopping on the web! It is not only shops and stores having difficulty!

I also have a warning shot a few weeks ago when a box of pet food came with the packets splits and the contents loose in the bottom! But that might have been a freak!

What are not freaks are the old (over 4 years) program re-introduced by our favourite shopping channel which completely corrupted my C drive three times even following technical support from the Vendor! Fortunately I also back up the drive to "D" before trying anything new! I was then told by e-mail that: " I regret to inform you that you are too clever for" ...(the program"!

And then a cartridge re-filling company took my money and then their web site disappeared and the telephone disconnected.

Finally, I bought a product which repairs leather scratches of a particular colour and was sent an (already opened) similar product which requires the user to mix a variety of tubes but gives far less of the product.

Another £100 down the drain. It has made me reconsider whether the Net is currently the place to go because these small companies must be feeling thew pinch too!

"What you carry home is the only product you can rely on" or something similar used to be a familiar phrase.

Regretfully caution is the watchword now!

kidsis 16:24 19 Oct 2009

I guess the answer is to shop with firms that have been around for some time and are well established. I can't agree with your penultimate para: I bought a pack of 4 tins of baked beans (I'll never model bikinis) and when I got the packaging off they were all horribly dented. It's a minefield out there wherever you shop, and every company only cares about profits and not the customer.

Splodge 16:32 19 Oct 2009

I did!

I was so impressed with their service, I wrote a glowing recommendation. lol

That site will not allow me to write a further review. So much for impartiality!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone