Doubtful/Unknown Programs

Chiel 20:44 01 Oct 2006

I have Windows XP SP2...In the Add/Remove page I notice two programs I would like info about...
a)J2SE Runtime Environment Updates 6 & 7, and
b)Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0.
Are these essential/must have programs..what are the consequences if I Uninstall them??
Thanks.

ventanas 21:02 01 Oct 2006

Its unusual for .net framework 2 to install itself without you instigating it. But it may have been put there by another program installation. Have you installed Visual C# for instance? This will also install framework 2, as will other Microsoft Visual apps.

J2SE runtime is Java. It is needed for certain web sites that use its code. Youc can safely leave both where they are.

Rossi#1 21:33 01 Oct 2006

You only need one of the updates for Java and its best to have the latest which is update 9.Theres a link in a post in the Helproom.

sean-278262 00:56 02 Oct 2006

I would leave both personally. .net is often used by some programs and if removed they wont work. Java is quite useful also as many sites use it. If you or your family visit chat rooms these often use it. Provided you dont desparately need the space I would leave both. As most users these days wont notice the few 100mb they both take up.

Chiel 01:10 02 Oct 2006

Thanks to Ventanas, Rossi#1 and Creature of the Nite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?