Double layer DVD writing

Heckmotor 18:59 03 Feb 2006

On good advice from this forum, I replaced a broken Asus 48x24x52x CD player with an NEC ND3520A 'all media' thingy, and left an existing DVD player installed as a back-up. After a false start, due to forgetting to move the jumper to 'slave', the pc now recognises both units. Our burning software is Nero 5.5.

Problem: Nero doesn't recognise the 8.5GB capacity of double layer DVDs, and won't write onto ordinary CDs via the new drive. I see there's an option to 'overburn', but it comes with a warning of possible drive damage if used inappropriately.

Question: What do I have to do to use the full capabilty of the new set-up without risking further problems? Help save a marriage and a business, if you can - I'm at my wit's end!

SANTOS7 19:05 03 Feb 2006

click here
nero 5.5 does not support dual layer..
if it was an oem version it will only write to the drive it came with...i think..

stalion 19:12 03 Feb 2006

this supports dual layer click here

Heckmotor 19:22 03 Feb 2006

Thanks, SANTOS 7. Your right - it was OEM, and the NEC drive was supplied as an OEM item, too, with no manual or software.

I see from your link that Nero 6 will do the job, but there's an ad in the corner for a Nero 7 download for next to no money - must be a catch?

stalion has flagged up a Roxio package that seems to offer all sorts of imaging trickery. Our main need is for backing up big boring business files - would I be wasting money with the £48 Roxio software, or maight I just as well have its extra features to play with later?

Thanks for your help so far, guys!

Smiler 19:30 03 Feb 2006

Nero oem click here

stalion 13:41 04 Feb 2006

if you only want to back up files use acronis
click here

pj123 13:50 04 Feb 2006

You can buy Nero version 6 from

click here

Make sure you select Suite 3

Once you have installed the software you can go to the Nero site and update it to the latest version for free.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer