Double click ony works on C drive

Quiet Life 14:27 07 Mar 2011

I have two hard drives with several partitions. Only C drive will open with double left click. On the other drives a double left click produces a message Windows cannot locate "copy.exe" . I can open these drives with a right click and open.
Flash or USB drives will open on a double left click.
It is not a virus problem and just a minor irritation but they all at one time did open on a double left click. Operating system XP Home

johndrew 15:03 07 Mar 2011
  Quiet Life 15:14 07 Mar 2011

Thanks johndrew as sated it is NOT a virus problem which these links cover.

rawprawn 15:25 07 Mar 2011

Try chkdsk /r on the affected volumes
click here

MAT ALAN 15:33 07 Mar 2011

Have you tried a "system restore" to when they where working.
Other resolves to this issue seem to be registry fixes...

could try this.

start> run> type> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll click OK

johndrew 09:52 08 Mar 2011

There may not be a virus present now but the problem may well have resulted from a past infection automatically(?) removed; this is why I offered the second link with information and access to Disk Heal which corrects this type of problem anyway. Added to this there are various other options and 'tweaks' which may be of assistance.

Another option would be to go to 'Start/Rrun' type "cmd" without the double quote which will bring up the md dos console.

From there type

del c:\autorun.* /f /a /s /q

After that is finish restart your computer. If it doesn't work retry the steps again.

It's up to you whether you feel it is worth trying or not.

Quiet Life 11:43 08 Mar 2011

MAT ALLAN "start> run> type> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" this seems to have cured the problem.
Did not seem to work but when restarted computer this morning double click works on all drives.
It had been going for too long for a system restore so that suggeston not possible.
Thanks for solving this irritating problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?