DOS and W2K

Diemmess 13:13 10 Feb 2006

A whim really, but I have two old Dos based children's adventure programs, which could be "encouraged to" run in Win 98SE.

Now exclusively using 2000 (FAT 32) is there a simple, reversible something that could be used when G.daughters arrive, to give these games another lease of life?

Simply running in a restricted DOS window won't do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 10 Feb 2006

You need DosBox click here run dos games in an NT enviroment and De-fend puts on a nice front end to DOsBox makes life simpler when loading games etc.

Diemmess 14:57 10 Feb 2006

Briefly tried, but either because I haven't configured something correctly or because DosBox is meant for NT (FAT 16?) instead of my FAT32 environment.

Never mind I'll have a rehash when I have more time, or perhaps there is a different magic route to success?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 10 Feb 2006

Works fine with Fat32 or NTFS.

Once you have DOSbox installed download and install De-fend. D-Fend allows you to make a so called profile for your DOS games. There profiles are then used to start DOSBox and run your game. Every profile is unique to allow tweaking which is very easy to do in D-Fend.

Click on the tabs to set up sound game pads etc.

I use this on both a 2000 and XP laptop to run DOS programs that work to diagnose computer faults on locomotives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone