Dont understand Dual boot and partition

Xubuntu1121 12:52 12 Sep 2017
Answered

Help i want to dual boot remixOS android on my windows, but it already has 4 partition (system, recovery, Windows 10 C:, and my data partition), i read that OS need an empty partition so does i need to move all my data to C: and use one for RemixOS or can i create more partition for it?

Jollyjohn 13:34 12 Sep 2017

A basic MBR (Master Boot Record) hard drive can only have four primary partitions.

A newer GPT (GUID Partition Table) hard drive can have multiple primary partitions. Your motherboard will need to support this and you will need to wipe your hard drive and start from scratch to change.

I would suggest putting a second hard drive into the PC and install remixOS onto it.

Xubuntu1121 22:30 12 Sep 2017

Ihear about extended partition, can i use this?. I using a laptop so i can't use second hard drive.

Thanks

alanrwood 09:03 13 Sep 2017
Answer

You can convert a primary partition which is not being used for an operating system to a logical partition to enable you to stay within the 4 allowed primary partitions.

Jollyjohn 11:47 13 Sep 2017

You could convert your data partition to an Extended partition. In the Extended partition you can create Logical Partitions - see here click here - Ensure you have backed up your data before you start.

Jollyjohn 16:53 16 Sep 2017

Do you have an SD card slot on the laptop? If so you could put RemixOS on the SD card and use BIOS boot option to dual boot.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)