Don't know jack about graphics cards...

Pier1 12:21 26 Apr 2003

Hi guys,
Here's my situation: I like watching AVI and MPEG movies on my PC, but it can't really handle it very well.

Is it because it's a Celeron 400MHz, 288Mb RAM or because of the generic SiS 620 display adaptor? In other words, is my PC too slow, or do I need to get a good graphics card?

If it is just a graphics card, what spec should I look for, bearing in mind I don't know anything about them. Please just summarise on specs rather than firing model numbers at me, so I get a good idea.

Also, I'm not sure if I need to/can get a PCI or AGP card, my monitor is connected to a port not from a PCI card, so does that mean its AGP? What's the difference between a graphics card and a graphics accelerator?

nightporter 13:43 26 Apr 2003

Graphics Card/accelerator is the same thing, do you know what motherboard it is?

Pier1 14:03 26 Apr 2003

Board: Hewlett-Packard HP Brio System Board D75xxA
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd HX.07.04(QHX.04.00) 06/03/99

Is this what you mean?

nightporter 14:04 26 Apr 2003

After looking on the Net it seems the SiS620 is an onboard graphics accelerator from a few years back, and after lookin at various Motherboards that use the SiS620 I think its safe to say your board only has a Pci slot not AGP. The cpu is maybe fast enough, but only just. Acheap graphics card would allow you to view AVI movies.

Pier1 14:33 26 Apr 2003

Looking inside the PC, it's next to the 3 PCI slots and a bit longer. Am I right?

Pier1 14:34 26 Apr 2003

And looking at data for similar HP Brio PCs, it'll be an AGP 4x

nightporter 14:49 26 Apr 2003

I found this page, I hope it helps. click here

Pier1 15:11 26 Apr 2003

Afraid not, all the links refer to the HP support site, which is really crap if you have an HP Brio BA.

Basically the remaining question now, is:

Will buying a graphics acc. card allow AVIs and MPEGs to played more smoothly on my PC?

And if so, what spec should I look for/will be satisfactory if I have this - Celeron 400MHz, 288Mb RAM, AGP 4x slot, Win98SE ?

PS I'm on a budget

Pier1 15:51 26 Apr 2003

bump

woodchip 16:02 26 Apr 2003

The slot you think is a AGP is a ISA. AGP is shorter and it's Brown not black. If you go into CMOS you may be able to improve the memory allocation to the onboard Graphics as they have several settings. In other word allow more memory to graphics

Pier1 16:14 26 Apr 2003

How do I do that?

But it sounds like I'm taking resources from elsewhere, would a better long term solution still be to get a graphics card?

Any info on graphics card specs to look for then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone