Dongle signal problem, can you advise please?

Sneeze1 20:52 04 Jan 2014

My mum would like to get on the internet and she had considered a pay as you go dongle as we don't have a landline fixed in. On further research it has turned out that the signal wouldn’t be strong enough because of the area of our house.

Is there anyway we could get round this please? She is a bit dissapointed that she cannot, or may not be ble to get on line.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:35 04 Jan 2014

what sort of mobile phone has she got? she could always use a smartphone as a modem tethered to a laptop or PC or tablet

woodchip 21:40 04 Jan 2014

As she tried for EE as this as one if not the best coverage in the country

woodchip 21:42 04 Jan 2014

PS My Daughter uses a T-Mobil that is now EE and we use it on Holidays also

Sneeze1 21:49 04 Jan 2014

Thanks for your reply. I tried 02, 3 and Vodaphone which said signal wouldnt b gud. E used to b owned by Orange didn't they? She only has a phone used by deaf people, wot do others think of EE please?

rdave13 22:05 04 Jan 2014

I run a phone on T-Moblie/Orange/EE and it's ok. Check with EE for coverage first in your area. link.

alanrwood 12:00 05 Jan 2014

They are all the same in terms of performance. It is just important to select the one with the best signal in your area. All of the phone companies have coverage maps on their web sites so you can compare. Overall at this point in time, unl;ess you want to pay through the nose don't go for 4G. 3G is good enough for most uses except very large downloads, movie streaming etc. Don't look at 2G (GPRS) as it is far too slow to be useful nowadays. Of allm the networks on 3G I would say "3" is probably the best bet if possible as it only operates on 3G and is not lumbered with the old 2G technology. Also they are the only ones who have said that their 4G will not be more expensive than their 3G when it gets going.

I personally have dongles using T-Mobile, 3, Samba and Ovivo (Vodafone) and I find 3 to be the most reliable. Ovivo Data is a cheap alternative if the signal is good in your area. It is a free data service and gives you 1GB free every month. Only drawback is that you occasionally get a 5 second advert but the service needs revenue to run. Samba, although free data is given for watching adverts it is not much use unless you do so from a desktop or laptop connected via a conventional ISP.

Data costs also need to be considered and I have found it well worth looking on eBay for data sims as it is generally far cheaper than going to the phone companies direct and avoid contract deals if possible.

If you will be using a dongle make sure you buy an unlocked one so you can use sims of whatever company you choose and not be locked in to just one. Again eBay is a good source for these.

alanrwood 12:05 05 Jan 2014

On re-reading your post I forgot to include the possibility that you could mount an external antenna which could improve the signal. I did that at my caravan in the Lake District and it was a great success. They can cost about £70-80 and if yo0u bare going to use one then make sure the dongle you buy has a socket for connecting the antenna. The wrap around solution is not very good. EG the Huawei E353 or 169 (I think) although there are others now since I bought mine.

alanrwood 12:06 05 Jan 2014

Ever considered satelite?

woodchip 19:50 05 Jan 2014

I bought a 3G pebble for the Sim out of the Dongle from Maplins that up to 10 can connect by WiFi

PS Daughter as a Good Deal from T-Mobile 3Gb per month for £10 Contract

Sneeze1 20:51 05 Jan 2014

Thanks, looked at Virgin dongle, signal says moderate. Have sent email to Sky as I am with them, see wot they say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?