dongle has no memory!

mco 23:17 10 Jul 2006

I've got a new laptop - it's the cheapest around, with a wireless dongle. Elsewhere in the house we have wireless cards and built in wireless and they all work fine.I got this dongle to connect to our system - and it does - but each time I switch off and on again, it doesn't seem to remember that it's connected. I have to go to 'change the order of preferences' and then 'use windows to configure my wireless settings - then highlight the connection I entered - and it connects! How can I get it to remember from one day to the next? It should connect automatically without me having to tick the 'use windows etc' box

mco 16:50 11 Jul 2006

I had to go through that above rigmarole again today when trying to connect after work - and it shouldn't be like that!

I had to go through that above rigmarole again today when trying to connect after work - and it shouldn't be like that!

mco 16:51 11 Jul 2006

see - it's doing my head in!

ade.h 18:28 11 Jul 2006

Hi mco.

I'll give you the same bit of advice that we always give to users of USB adpters.

Don't use or install the supplied software!

You'll need to remove it from our system so that the network connection itself is removed from Network Connections and then start afresh.

Instructions to follow when I can find them! They're in a shared folder somewhere....

ade.h 18:28 11 Jul 2006

our = your

ade.h 20:39 11 Jul 2006

Found it. My blurb on USB adapters:

1) Clear off the adapter software in "Change or Remove Programs", found via Program Access and Defaults on the All Programs menu.
2) Uninstall the device from Device Manager, accessed via the Hardware tab in the properties of “My Computer”.
3) Reboot. Run a cleanup with your preferred cleanup utility.
4) Insert your driver CD, but cancel it if it starts to run. DO NOT let it run.
5) Insert the PC Card or USB adapter.
6) Wait for the "New Hardware Found" wizard to begin and point it to the CD when prompted to search for a driver. Alternatively, download the latest driver from the manufacturer's support site and save it in a convenient location.

mco 20:59 11 Jul 2006

why? I mean, why all that fuss? Why can I not just do it as they say?

ade.h 21:49 11 Jul 2006

Because 3rd-party adapter software varies from average to frankly terrible, but more importantly, XP really needs to be able to manage the connection and the adapter directly. It's much happier that way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fuss" however; there is less fuss involved in using a USB adapter without the annoying software. You need to remove it - and properly - in order to extricate yourself from it, as it has a habit of running in the background and trying to take control over the connection and adapter.

mco 23:43 11 Jul 2006

Will remove everything and start again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?