Dongle buying advice

bristolgirl 18:51 16 Mar 2010

Hi

I haven't a clue about which Dongle I should buy or even if it is a dongle that I want. So I hope that you can help again!!

I would like to have access to my emails via my laptop when I am away from home and think that this is probably the way to go. Or am I wrong again?

Any advice and recommendations are gratefully received!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 16 Mar 2010

Has your laptop got a wireless card if so you do not need a dongle.

bristolgirl 19:56 16 Mar 2010

Thank you for your answer Fruit Bat!

I'm not sure what a wireless card is. Sorry!!! I do pick up my own home internet wirelessly with my laptop. Does this mean I have a wireless card. I don't think it does, does it?

oldbeefer3 20:09 16 Mar 2010

If you pick up wireless at home, you have a wireless card. Ergo, you can connect at WiFi hotspots, such as cafes etc. If you want to connect almost anywhere, then you need a mobile dongle - probably pay as you go. click here=

bristolgirl 20:47 16 Mar 2010

Thank you oldbeefer3. Please excuse my daftness!

That is a very useful link for a mobile dongle. Thank you.
When it says, "just £2 a day" for example, does this mean that I would pay £2 even if I just used it for 10 minutes? Probably another daft question, I know!

mgmcc 21:34 16 Mar 2010

That particular package will give you unlimited use for 1 day only at a cost of £2.

I have a p-a-y-g USB dongle on the "3" network for which £10 gives me up to 1GB of data and is valid for 30 days, which is rather better value.

peter99co 21:41 16 Mar 2010

Many of your questions answered here.
I have a two year contract which gives me 3 gig per month and i have never managed to use it all.

1 gig may suit you.

3 are supposed to have the biggest coverage but you need to check t mobile and vodaphone etc. to see if you are covered where you live and travel to.

click here

bristolgirl 06:54 17 Mar 2010

Thank you mgmcc and peter99co for your answers. I appreciate them!

I once had a mobile phone contract with 3 and I can only describe it as a pretty horrible experience. I appreciate that I might need to pay a bit more with another network provider but is there another one that might suit my needs?

Don't laugh, but I know that the area where I will be staying for a few days will not have any mobile coverage whatsoever but I am hoping to drive to a nearby area where I can pick one up!

oldbeefer3 08:48 17 Mar 2010

Worth having a look at click here to see which network give the best coverage for you.

bristolgirl 09:08 17 Mar 2010

Thank you again oldbeefer3.

I have checked these before but I know that whichever network I use, I will have no coverage where I will be staying and that I will have to travel a few miles before picking a signal up.

I would still very much like a 2nd option, other than "3". If this is possible.

ella33 09:14 17 Mar 2010

I use an 02 dongle, with no other internet access, it does give me better coverage than just picking up at Wifi hotspots. If you already have wireless then a dongle can give cellular internet free of charge. A dongle is useful for travelling too. There are a variety of pay as you go packages. There is one, but I forget which make it is (I think maybe '3') that gives a package of £5 a month. So for some, if you do not use internet daily, it is enough to work offline and use email to send your attachments (which I should be doing now!!), and some browse time. If you are travelling out of Wifi areas that could be useful to you. If you pay as you go, you don't have to top up util you need to. It is a good idea to browse the packages offered by different companies and see which is best for your needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache