Domain pointing problem

murgle 18:53 10 Feb 2006

Hi,

I use a company to host the database and images for my website and I use subdomains to point to the pages.

For example click here points to the toyota database which is located at click here and this works fine, however if I try and point the domain click here at click here, it will not work.

Can anyone see any reason why it wont work and is there any way of correcting this. I really do not want my web designers web address in the address bar.

Thank you for your help

Forum Editor 19:47 10 Feb 2006

why can't all this happen on one domain name - why do you need the sub-domains in the first place? It seems to be an unnecessary complication.

Unless I'm missing something obvious - it wouldn't be the first time.

murgle 20:39 10 Feb 2006

Forum Editor - I built the site my self and host it with 1&1. I had a guy build my database and image galley but he said 1&1 could not host them with any of the packages they offer. This is why they are still on his server.

Forum member - Sorry, the original contact link I gave should have read "contact_us.asp", I have changed it back to show this but it still wont work.

murgle 21:38 10 Feb 2006

Hi John,

There is no / at the end of the address in the domain forwarding settings, it seems to appear there automatically? Even if you type the address in manually the / will appear?

Forum Editor 23:43 10 Feb 2006

I find that very hard to believe.

Without knowing more about the database I can't be assertive about it, but I can tell you that thousands of databases are hosted by 1&1 as we speak, and I would be astonished if yours couldn't be. I can definitely say that your images could easily be hosted in your server space.

murgle 07:49 11 Feb 2006

Previously the models were all listed on a page using frontpage 2000 which meant only I could add the stock to the site as other employees found it too complicated. The intention for having this new website was to have anyone to be able to add the stock via a webpage by completring fields on the page. Images are also entered via the web designers website. The images are uploaded to a server from my hard drive. The server where the images are hosted then automatically resizes them so the thumbnail images on each model are the same size and when clicked a larger pop up image appears. Apparantly a special server is required to do this.

The database allows users to subscribe to a particular model of vehicle. An email is then sent out when new stock has been added.

I was infomed that for the contact us, vehicle enquiry and subscribe to mailing list forms to work the server must allow the following:

- ASP enabled
- Persits ASPEmail <- this is what is difficult to find. CDONT and CDOSYS won't do.

I don't mind the fact that these pages are hosted somewhere else, but I think it is very un proffesional to have the designers address in the address bar for the forms. Why is it I can point my domains at the model pages but not the form pages?

Many thanks

Forum Editor 09:01 11 Feb 2006

ASP email is already set up on the 1&1 servers - as it is on the servers of all decent web-hosts - so that's the first problem out of the way.

Secondly, a fairly comprehensive image gallery facility is available with your 1&1 package, and it can be customised to suit your requirements.

I'm not attempting to undermine your confidence in your web designer by any means, but I would like you to be in possession of the facts, so you can decide how you want your site to run, rather than have it dictated to you by someone else.

PeteWilson 14:27 15 Feb 2006

Hello PC Advisors forum.

I am the web designer Murgle, ;-), is referring to. Let me clarify a few points;

Prologue - We run a database integrated site that allows our users to update their stock with minimum fuss and bother. We create mirrors of the users showroom with our showroom interface installed with the idea that the user links too and from us.
Regard - click here
Murgle wanted to add a few extra features to make his life easier.

Ok;

1) We originally designed the contact, mailing list and enquiry pages using standard CDONTS. When we ran the codes (with numerous recipients) everyone bar murgle received the emails without error. We then tried CDOSYS with the same results. Only using Persits ASPEmail could murgle receive the emails. Murlge assures me he does not have message rules or a virus checker blocking them.

3) Quote - “Why can't all this happen on one domain name - why do you need the sub-domains in the first place? It seems to be an unnecessary complication.”
- Agreed, though Murgle is adamant.

2) The “/” was added by murgles server, “toyota.northwestimports.co.uk” was supposed to forward to “…showroom.asp?make=toyota” though we had “showroom?make=toyota/” instead. The “/” is simply removed as it comes through to our server.

3) I never said 1&1 could not host the database. To save time and money we run our own database which holds all the cars we’ve done sites for. We’ve then set up a site (stokecar) that makes updating your inventory quick and easy.

4) We did come to the conclusion that 1&1 did NOT have the Persits ASPEmail component installed, hence we host the pages that send out emails. We are really not fussed about holding his email pages. We only host them as they work.

5) “The server where the images are hosted then automatically resizes them so the thumbnail images on each model are the same size and when clicked a larger pop up image appears. Apparently a special server is required to do this.”
- To ensure all the images look correct we use ASPJpeg, also by the Persist group.

6) Quote - “Secondly, a fairly comprehensive image gallery facility is available with your 1&1 package, and it can be customised to suit your requirements.”
- This is of course true. We have, however, integrated the showroom with the mailing list, enquiry form and purchase form. The contact form is also integrated with the mailing list. Given the sheer volume of traffic murgle receives we wanted to make the system as automated as possible.

Kind Regards
Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache