Domain Name/Web Hosting Question

Sibbo 20:35 18 Dec 2008

I registered a domain name with 123 reg, but am thinking of hosting the site on evohosting.co.uk because they allow Wordpress etc. Can I just start my site on evohosting straight away, or is there something else that I need to do? Thanks.

Forum Editor 09:28 21 Dec 2008

1. Point the domain name from 123 reg to your evohosting server space.

2. Move the name from one host to the other.

For a name to be visible on the internet it must be hosted, rather than just parked. My advice is that you move the name to evohosting.Some hosts are not particularly helpful when it comes to transferring names away to another host - they'll either charge you to do it, or make it difficult for you to achieve. I'm not suggesting that this is the case with 123 reg, but a quick look at their site didn't provide me with any indication that you can use an automated process to transfer a name out.

The mechanics of a transfer are as follows:-

You obtain your new host's IPS Tag - this is a unique code that identifies your host to the DNS servers around the world. Each domain registration company/web host has an IPS Tag.

You then contact your current domain host and ask them to change the tag on your domain name to the one you've obtained from the new host. Some hosts require a fax confirmation of transfer requests.

You tell the new host that you're transferring the name, so they can associate it with your hosting account - this is often an automated procedure.

The transfer should occur within a day or so, and once it happens you'll find that your web site will appear on the internet - usually around 24 hours after the actual transfer. There's nothing to stop you building your site in your evohosts server space while all this is going on, but it won't be visible on the internet.

Jackie21 10:11 01 Jan 2009

You can consider any hosting company by keeping the domain with 123 reg. All you need to do is change the name servers pointing to evohosting servers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?