Domain name transfer woes

Gingermum 23:08 08 Mar 2005

Posted this earlier in consumer watch but with no response. Trying my luck here:

2 years ago I bought a domain name from JoshuaInternet who have since been hosting the site. As the club changed its name we decided to move hosts and buy a new url, transfer the old name and park it on the new site. I bought the new name and hosting on 11 Feb and informed Joshua via support ticket of my intentions. No response. I realised that I had to raise a request to have the name unlocked and did this on 18 Feb. On 21 Feb I received an email from the new hosts telling me the transfer request had failed. By emailing Tim at Joshua directly I eventually got a response on 22 Feb that the domain was unlocked. My new host has just informed me that his second request has failed. I emailed Tim this morning. No response. So, what do I do now?

Forum Editor 00:15 09 Mar 2005

It is a sad but true fact that many web hosts show little or no interest in releasing names, because there's nothing in it for them. They see a name transferred as income lost, so they drag their feet.

In truth it takes no time at all to do the work necessary for the name transfer, and you'll just have to plug away at Tim I'm afraid. In dire circumstances you can get Nominet UK to force the transfer of a name in any of their supported name levels, but you'll have to show them that you have made strenuous efforts with the existing host first. I have resorted to Nominet on only one occasion in the past, and they acted to force the move very rapidly, once I convinced them of the need. Let's hope it doesn't come to that in your case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?