domain name reference

javaBalls 12:25 12 Oct 2006

I've got a reseller account. Sometimes I need some hosting space for development purposes.(I would prefer not to use my existing hosting packages.)

With my reseller account I can simply add a new hosting packages. However if there is no domain name then I need to assign it to a domain name reference. Domain name references are intended to be a temporary measure until you have transferred the domain for real.

Can I just use a made up domain name reference and create new hosting packages? For example some developer friends of mine require hosting to test out their stuff but don't require a domain.

Forum Editor 18:39 12 Oct 2006

for a limited period - say 24 hours. They're designed to help you when you're transferring a name from another host, and want to start work on a website in the interim, while you're waiting for the name to come over from the previous host.

You can use any name you like, because unless the name is transferred in within the specified period the reference will disappear.

I also have a reseller account, and the way I handle development is by running sub-webs on a special domain name with password authentication. Nobody but me, or anyone to whom I allocate a password can see the work in progress.

It works perfectly - I've been doing it for years.

javaBalls 22:31 16 Oct 2006

sorry for the late response.

I may use your method of running sub-webs (I presume this is the same things as sub-domains)

You may be interested to know that I created a domain reverence for a domain that doesn't exist over a week ago and I can use it as a fully functional account.

All I need to do is enter the IP address of the server followed by the 'madeupdomain'

This means that I get my development accounts for myself and friends and don't have to pay for a domain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?