Domain name query

yattonharrytoo 08:54 16 Jan 2006

Hi,
Been looking at the archived messages re domain names. I have a question. I am with plus.net but seemingly can transfer a domain name to them. Is this correct?

Will one domain name cover several websites, of the same nature? Looked at 1&1 and Heart - both look good, but Heart internet looks very professional.

Cheers

Forum Editor 10:12 16 Jan 2006

which is why I have my reseller account with them - on which many of my clients' sites are hosted.

The answer to your question is yes, you can indeed transfer your name into your Plus.net account. Contact the company which is currently hosting the name, and ask them to retag the name to:-

FORCE9

and to change the DNS details to:-

Primary Name server 1 - ns1.force9.net - 195.166.128.16

Secondary Name server 2 - ns2.force9.net - 195.166.128.17

Then access your account with Plus.net and follow the instructions to transfer a name in.

yattonharrytoo 12:12 16 Jan 2006

Ok that is a great help - I think. Not sure that I shall understand it - but plus.net will.

Can I then have one domain name to cover several websites, of the same nature?

Thanks for help,

Forum Editor 12:30 16 Jan 2006

Not unless they are subwebs.

When a visitor types in a web address, such as:

http: //www .whateveryourdomainnameis.co.uk his/her browser goes to a DNS server somewhere in the world and asks for the location. The DNS server looks it up and sends the browser off to your web host's server. On arrival at that server the browser is directed to your specific server space, and it immediately looks for a file called index.htm or index.html

When it finds the file the browser downloads it, converts the HTML code into words and pictures, and displays it on your screen. The page will have links to other pages which are in directories on the server space, and clicking them will cause the browser to download the relevant page.

If you want to run a sub-web on the same domain name you can, which takes me back to the beginning. Your subweb would have an address such as: http: //www .nameofsubweb.whateveryourdomainnameis.co.uk

I hope that helps - the spaces in the specimen web addresses I used are there to stop our site from converting them to 'click here' hyperlinks by the way.

yattonharrytoo 13:09 16 Jan 2006

Thank you for the information. I think I understand that better now. I could have some subwebs then, great.

I will take your advice now, and go and purchase a domain name from Heart.
Excellent.

Best wishes,

yattonharrytoo 13:16 16 Jan 2006

Opps one more question please.

Does it matter if my proposed domain name isn't as short as would like? It is 21 characters long.

Thanks,

Forum Editor 14:08 16 Jan 2006

the shorter a domain name is, the easier it is for visitors to remember. The problem nowadays is that most of the meaningful short names in all the big high level domains (.com .net .co.uk etc.) have been registered.

If you're happy with the name you've chosen, go for it.

yattonharrytoo 17:05 16 Jan 2006

Many thanks for your help. I shall go for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?