Domain Name Exipred - But want to Transfer

javaBalls 14:59 18 Oct 2006

I have a domain name with hosting 'company A' and want to transfer it to hosting 'company B'.

The problem is that it expired on 16 June 2006. Company A told me there was a 4 month period where I can still renew it. But I want to transfer it to Company B.

Company A told me that I would need to renew it with them before I attempted to change the IPS tags or else it would get "Lost".

Is this true?

javaBalls 16:17 18 Oct 2006

Here's the response from Company B:

It will not be possible to transfer that domain to our systems you will need to either renew it with the current provider. Or you could wait for it to expire completely and be removed from the whois at that point it would be possible to register it from our system. There is of course the risk that someone else could purchase the domain before you do.

Well that's clear now. I'll tick the 'resolved' box.

Forum Editor 18:31 18 Oct 2006

there's an 'escrow' period during which a name cannot be re-tagged. It starts shortly before the name is due for renewal, and lasts until renewal - so if you don't renew you can't move the name during the period of grace.

Both companies are quite correct in what they say, and the easiest route is certainly the 'wait until it's removed from the WHOIS and re-register. If it's not a particularly memorable name you're usually safe enough with this method, but it's your call.

spuds 13:22 20 Oct 2006

As the forum editor as stated "it's your call". If the domain name is a 'mega-buck' title, then you may have a domain name trader waiting in the wings, if you let the expiry period expire.

If this doe's happen, then you could perhaps have a renewal with a variation title. Something very similar, but not exactly the same. But this may cause further problems, if your domain is used on a regular basis, or in conjunction with a commercial enterprise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?