Domain / Active direcory / dns / dhcp

Mr-Alive 11:56 04 Mar 2006

Hi, I need some help I am trying to setup a domain with server 2003 and Windows XP Pro as clients. I haven’t had much success; I have set up the domain several times now with no joy!!

Do i need to be running my server with DHCP installed because my Router is my DHCP connected to my switch? But I have given my server a static IP.
I have followed the on screen instructions; it’s a local domain so it’s not using an internet domain. When I try to connect my client computers to the server using a administrator account which I set up in active directory it come up with username and password box I enter the details and nothing it doesn't work, sometimes it says I have other connections to server and says disconnect them first. But no matter what i do it doesn't work. I have been trying this on a few computers.

What Is wrong why doesn't it work???

Is there some setup guides which are basic encase I’m missing something?

Does the firewall block it (Windows Default)?

Are the defaults which windows set the DNS need adjusting?

When I set up a local domain does it have to end in .com .co.uk ......... or can it be for example test.test or does it have to be test.local ??

Thanks in advance!
Andy

BigMoFoT 13:33 04 Mar 2006

a lot for you take on board if your a little unsure about things - howver you can set up a local domain without the need for a .com or .co.uk

As long as you have an account setup you should be able to attach a a computer to the domain - the full contect would include the name of the domain plus the user with thr credentials to allow you to contect for example;

mydns\administrator and then enter the password...

What is the name of your domain?

Mr-Alive 13:57 04 Mar 2006

So would home.network be fine as a local domain?

THanks

netfiend 15:27 04 Mar 2006

This may be a silly question, but while installing the xppro machines, did you chose the domain option instead of the workgroup option in the network setup ?

Mr-Alive 15:49 04 Mar 2006

They are not a fresh install of XP, so Im am trying to join aa domain going through system properties. So answer to that is i choose workgroup. however i wouldn't have thought this would have been an issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?