I bought this PC as a spare:

AOpen MX46-533V mobo
Celeron 2.4GHz
512MB memory
40GB hard drive
XP SP3 installed with COA
18x DVD Writer
AVG9, Open Office, Spybot S&D, Adobe Reader 9

brand new with 12 month warranty off eBay – for £75. I thought “How bad can it be for £75?” Well, I may have been wrong. I wasn’t expecting the earth – but I was expecting something that ran faster than a blind 3-legged dog with chronic arthritis. It is desperately, desperately slow.

Now, my guess is that 512MB just isn’t enough to run SP3 satisfactorily (512MB may have been enough for the original XP, but with SP3, XP became really bloated). The CPU shouldn’t be a problem, although Celerons were never the quickest thing on earth. I’m also guessing that even the addition of a modest graphics card (e.g. 64MB (it’s an AGP machine) ) should offload some of the processing (if only drawing the screen) and I’m thinking that, for no more than £40, I can probably turn it into a reasonable runner.

What do you guys think? And if you think memory may be the answer: is there any point filling the spare slot with 1GB, or should I just put another 512MB in to give 1GB total?

Or: is it beyond redemption, and I just got myself an expensive doorstop?

MAT ALAN 14:57 01 Oct 2010

Format, reinstall, add more memory, get rid of Adobe bloatware... "job done"

Ian in Northampton 15:02 01 Oct 2010

Thanks MA. In fact, I was quite impressed by how little bloatware there was compared with many new machines. AVG9, SS&D and Adobe Reader are pretty much 'essential' (for me anyway) and Open Office is kinda nice to have. Given that the machine is brand new, though, why do you think a reformat/reinstall might help?

MAT ALAN 15:10 01 Oct 2010

OOOPS sorry missed the "brand new bit" so maybe no need to format, Adobe PDF is a huge prog for what it does
click here
the foxit reader is favoured by many on here.

Could be just a lack of memory issue then...

Ian in Northampton 15:11 01 Oct 2010

Thanks MA. I'll take a look at Foxit.

Strawballs 15:17 01 Oct 2010

Add another 512meg ram should run OK the more the merrier but 1gig should run SP3 ok. I have a spare running XPSP3 with 1256meg ram Nvidia FX5200 512meg card with Sempron 2200+ not bad as a spare have it networked mainly because it has 500gig HDD so handy for backups.

Ian in Northampton 15:33 01 Oct 2010

Thanks Strawballs. I need to find out what kind of premium I'll need to pay to fill the remaining memory slot with 1GB rather than 512MB: if it's only a few quid, it's probably worth it.

Devil Fish 15:44 01 Oct 2010

im guessing it is running ddr memmory

a 512 stick will cost around £20

1gig around the £35- £40 mark

dependnat on what make and where you purchase my first stop is normally crucial

click here

Ian in Northampton 15:50 01 Oct 2010

Thanks Devil Fish. Yeah, its PC2700 memory. Normally, I'm a big fan of Crucial, but I may not want to pay their prices for a spare machine...

ICF 15:50 01 Oct 2010

Try Crucial scanning tool.Approx £45 for 1GB stick

click here

Ian in Northampton 15:52 01 Oct 2010

ICF: thanks. Yes, that's what I used to find out what I needed.

PS: not *the* ICF? You're not going to hurt anyone, are you...? ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?