doesnt always boot + update recommendation?

theDarkness 22:35 25 May 2010

while switching the pc on today (about 5 mins ago)-no beep, nothing, just a blank screen (with the monitor light flashing/indicating no image on screen whatsoever. I had to hold the power to switch off, then try again-how to find out the source of the problem?

It happened in the past before with another similar system, with what I put down to at the time as a graphics driver update that wasnt 100% compatible. since its was not actually starting up, im not too sure if that wouldve been entirely possible or not as a cause? I havent made any updates recently however to this system aside from antivirus. I did have an issue with malware in the cache the other day, but im pretty certain this is unrelated to the startup problem as avira completely removed it yesterday, and after a full scan with all my programs I am now ok.

the system i am using at the moment is fast enough for most of my needs-basic gfx editing and and office work (1.5 single core athlon, 1 gig ram, with a dedicated geforce fx 5500 graphics card+ hercules sound card) although im still wondering if I was to update, what the cheapest way to do it would be for speed alone? would it be easier to simply replace the motherboard to a dual core system? with todays cheapest dual core systems, would my seperate graphics and sound card above be of any use?

thanks

gaucho. 12:56 26 May 2010

look at these click here from £88.

The onboard graphics would be better than the AGP card you now have and you could upgrade as you go on. You would probably have to reinstall the O/S. The sound card would be fine in a PCI slot.

The motherboard bundles will accommodate sata drives but should have at least 1 eide slot to take to 2 ata devices. i.e. hard drive and optical drive.

theDarkness 01:16 27 May 2010

This system I am referring to is an old 32-bit "Time" branded desktop, from around 2002- so I was trying to find out whether their towers were set to the same standard in sizes to fit most motherboards? I dont want to update by buying a new board with ram, and finding out I may need to buy a new tower anyway to get it to fit, haha. Would a simple new tower+board+ram be the best option, especially if it may come with cooling etc that a modern system may need, unlike this old Time branded one?

When you mention the onboard graphics on a new system probably working better than if it used my current agp card, do you mean on a new 32-bit, 64-bit (or both) system? I know 64-bit is the way everything is starting to go, but it would seem 32-bit is still the standard, perhaps when it comes down to compatibility 64-bit drivers/software may not be available for some pci/agp cards, especially when it comes down to gfx and sound?

I will probably go for a 32-bit system, obviously with a far better cpu than im currently operating with. Im assuming from that site that 4 Gig of ram is (roughly) the current average choice for modern memory? So many questions-sorry! :)

gaucho. 05:44 27 May 2010

For your usage, you will not need it.

Look at these then click here

If you still want to use XP, 1Gb to 2Gb of ram is fine for everyday use.

If you find one that you think might be useful, post back and we can walk through the compatibility of your current components.

theDarkness 12:15 29 May 2010

thanks!

i use some graphics software and often run more than one prog at once, so ill prob go for something with more ram than I have now. I forgot about the "barebones" term, so that will come in handy if I try and compare stores

Ive been testing my current system today-does anyone have any idea with what could be causing a pc to only switch on roughly 70% of the time? No beep, nothing, so I switch off and try again.
Its odd, as when it finally decides to come on, I have no issues at all, and it will stay on as long as I want it to, perfectly stable. I dont think its a straight plug/power problem as I can fix it by reinstalling xp and all my programs completely, and everything will work fine again.
I really dont want to do that since it will take so long in reinstalling the whole system.. until it happens again. The non switch-on does not seem to be related to any installation or update, so its very odd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:43 29 May 2010

"No beep, nothing, so I switch off and try again."
"an old 32-bit "Time" branded desktop, from around 2002"

Power supply unit is dying.

I would be tempted to put a reasonably cheap PSU in it approx £20 not worth paying more for such an old machine.

theDarkness 14:10 30 May 2010

I forgot to add that the power supply in the machine itself is not the original one, the one it has now was added much later than 2002. I could not use the original psu if I was to add anything to the machine (seperate gfx/sound cards) as it had a lower output that what would then be required. The one it has now is an Enermax EG495AX-VE. Even when I press the pc power button and the system doesnt start up, the standard keyboard light flashes as normal- and the pc tower fans also stay on with no problems, so power seems to be definately getting to the pc.

I thought it was a failing psu when I first encountered the problem, but its happened before- if I reinstall windows today, it will work flawlessly once again. That was why I would always assume that the possible reason for the problem occuring was from some action or installation, as I may not come across it again for months afterwards. I didnt think a reinstallation of xp could temporarily "fix" a dying psu, but it does in this case, so its very odd.

thanks

theDarkness 13:29 19 Jun 2010

strangely, ive turned down the fan speed on the power supply (the speed dial was at maximum unnecessarily) and its now fine, always starting-so that was the problem. could be on its way out if it happens again and its not at full speed, will have to wait and see. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache